Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts >

Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

Marshall's Batting for Donation Quilts

Old 07-22-2016, 08:11 PM

The 5 oz. that I'm referencing is 96" wide, 5 oz. running yard, 72 yds total = $86 folded or $83 unfolded

Old 07-22-2016, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ansew View Post
The 5 oz. that I'm referencing is 96" wide, 5 oz. running yard, 72 yds total = $86 folded or $83 unfolded

Thank you for the information. Helpful. That is a very large bolt, I'll have to think about that one. But I realize it is very cost effective.

Last edited by slbram17; 07-22-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 04:47 AM

Years ago I bought a roll of polyester batting from Marshalls. It's folded on the bolt, which is about 48 inches long, so unfolded it must be 96". It's at least a quarter inch thick, but it's that fluffy stuff that compresses easily. I'm still using it, and it's fine. The problem was they sent two bolts of it, and billed me for the second bolt. Good golly, whatever could I do with two bolts of that stuff? When I called, he told me he sent two bolts because the shipping cost is the same for two as for one, and refused to pay shipping to take it back. He ended up charging me half price for the second bolt, which I promptly donated to my quilt guild. We used it for charity quilts, and it disappeared in one day's quilting session!
Old 07-23-2016, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy View Post
Years ago I bought a roll of polyester batting from Marshalls. It's folded on the bolt, which is about 48 inches long, so unfolded it must be 96". It's at least a quarter inch thick, but it's that fluffy stuff that compresses easily. I'm still using it, and it's fine. The problem was they sent two bolts of it, and billed me for the second bolt. Good golly, whatever could I do with two bolts of that stuff? When I called, he told me he sent two bolts because the shipping cost is the same for two as for one, and refused to pay shipping to take it back. He ended up charging me half price for the second bolt, which I promptly donated to my quilt guild. We used it for charity quilts, and it disappeared in one day's quilting session!
That is a bizarre story. I think I would have asked for a charge back on my credit card for that, after getting his reasoning in writing. Of course getting half price and using it in charity quilts makes it okay.

Imagine all the ballooned orders we'd get if stores slapped on more of something because the shipping costs are the same. The rationale is just plain wrong.
Old 07-23-2016, 07:53 AM

Teresa, I agree. I had prepaid for my one bolt by check--don't use credit cards. So when the two bolts came, there was an invoice for the second bolt with them. I about died! And I couldn't believe he was refusing to send me postage to ship it back. He said the shipping was so expensive it wasn't worth it to him to send me the shipping cost to return it. I refused to buy it, and we compromised on my paying half price. I'm sure the shipping I paid on two was more than the shipping would have been for one. I never bought anymore, though. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

I would have been livid and wouldn't have let that rep get away with it. You could have called and talked to the owner but you said it was years ago.
Old 07-23-2016, 08:45 AM

I'm pretty sure I Was talking to the owner.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-30-2017 at 05:14 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 07-23-2016, 09:12 AM
Power Poster

It's a family owned business so maybe that one is long gone by now! I know one long time employee said when the boss there got old he became a bully and hard to work with. Shady sales tactic like that won't work now. Social media posts would ruin the business and I'd be the first to say good riddance.
Old 07-23-2016, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I don't know what prices are at Marshalls's, but I am finding really good batting prices at Walmart.com, and they have free shipping for orders over $50 wich would be just 1 or 2 rolls of 96" wide batting.
Have you or anyone else ordered batting from Walmart specifically for charity quilts? If so, what did you get?
Old 07-23-2016, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by mamagrande View Post
I used to be the Manager Of the Mennonite Quilt Center in Reedley, CA. The batting that we used at the center to tie the comforters was polyester 12oz. Since we were a store and a quilting center we were able to buy it on wholesale. And we were also the drop off point for oversea shipping of the West Coast Mennonite Central Committee, so many were with 6oz. Sometimes church organizations would asked us to add and order for them when we placed our store order....then they would get a 25% discount.

6oz is pretty thin so I guess that 5oz is thinner and that would work well in the LA, I have used the 6oz several times when customers have brought it with their quilts. There is not too much loft with it.

I am not familiar with Marshalls batting..so my response refers to Hobbs and Quilter's Dream.
Do you remember where you purchased your batting and was it from Hobbs or somewhere else.