Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Math question: Does a 4.25" square cut diagonally yield a 3" pinwheel?

this info came just at the right time for me--the starch recipe will save some me money i never liked useing the cans

Quote Originally Posted by dunster View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree entirely with the math in that whipup link above. The relationship is NOT proportional as the blogger states.

The math would be the same as for QST's. You're just sewing the first seam differently to get to the same result. For any finished size HST, add 1.25" and you have the size of the squares to start with. Your finished pinwheel will be twice the size of the finished HSTs, so for 4" finished pinwheels you need 2" finished HST's, which requires two 3.25" squares.
    I respectfully agree with you! I did the math on this once but have long since forgotten it. But I do know it wasn't proportional...

I also think it's better to round up, even right off the bat with the first square, to be able to trim the smaller blocks to exact size.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2