Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men who quilt >

Men who quilt

Men who quilt

Old 02-04-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by PegD
And then there is that guy that did the last supper. Show him that, he will be impressed. I can't think of his name right now.
That was Dr. Locke DDS. He is from Waxahachie, Texas ( my home town) After getting the idea for the quilt, he had his son design it on the computer and turn it into half inch pixals. Each piece is only a half inch square. Simply magnificent. And his wife "Does NOT quilt".
Old 02-04-2011, 05:24 PM

My husband sews. He bought me a sewing machine for our first Christmas (43 years ago) but he had to try it out first. When I bought a serger, he had to try that out before I was allowed to use it. He's made such things as nylon bags to put our sleeping bags in. So far, he doesn't quilt. However, my brother-in-law quilts. He's a retired truck driver that "helps" his wife buy fabric. She's a stickler for hand-quilting only. He would love to have a longarm machine but she won't let one in the house. A nephew also sews and quilts.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:25 PM

There is a very nice man who is in our Quilt Guild and his wife doesn't quilt, but join us at our dinners. There have been articles in the news papers about how Truckers have started quilting as something to do on long trip who have wives. Plus my gay son would have never done quilt maybe fashion design, but he is no longer with us he passed away in 1996.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:32 PM

My Grandparents were quilt partners. She picked out the pattern and fabric and hand quilted and my Grandpa sewed the top. My mom remembers him coming home at lunch time and would sew while he ate lunch. She said it helped him relieve stress. I think your husband would enjoy quilting. There are a lot of groups making quilts to send overseas and that would be something he could relate well with.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by SWChick
I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP
Search "Men Who Quilt" on this site and see some of their projects. Gorgeous!
Old 02-04-2011, 05:40 PM

We have 2 men in our guild and the men make quilts we as women don't even think of. Plus they are not afraid to cut into a piece of fabric.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Our neighbor is a retired gentleman with arthritic hands. He quilts by hand to keep his hands flexible. He is honestly does the most beautiful work that I have ever seen. There are many organizations for sending quilts to veterans. I am not sure if we are allowed to mention the names of the organizations so send me a PM and I will tell you about the one I work with. It is great because we also send letters with the quilts. If I was a wounded vet and received a handmade quilt from a fellow wounded vet with a letter it would mean so much to me and I would keep it FOREVER. It means so much when you come across someone who truly understands.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:45 PM

Not only are men quilters, quite often they are GREAT quilters!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:14 PM

Tell him about Ricky Timms and Kaffe Fassett and Joe Pedley (Joe the Quilter)? Those guys are all fantastic and so creative!
Old 02-04-2011, 06:27 PM

Tell hubby that, not only did my father sew, he made all my doll clothes when I was little. The last thing he made me was a pair of sailor pants (with all the buttons!) and a summer shirt to wear with them! I would NOT want to be the one to tell him his hobby was gay, he was a Marine DI after all. Straight men can sew just as well as any woman, or gay man. Real men know who they are. Since he is disabled, I will assume he has done a few brave things in his life, this is just another one. I have a feeling that if he does decide to try it, he will create beauties!