Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Men who quilt >

Men who quilt

Men who quilt

Old 02-04-2011, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by maine ladybug
I don't know if he's a football fan, but if he is, remind him that Rosie Greir of the NY Gaints and LA Rams, did needlepoint and knitting. He was 6'5" and 300 lbs. and he wasn't afraid to let the world know what he did in his spare time. He even put out books about it. If you dont believe me just Goggle his name.
:) and i have some of his patterns in my collection.
Old 02-04-2011, 03:56 PM

Oh there are a lot of men that quilt. I read somewhere that a bunch of over the road truck drivers are a group of quilters and compare notes and fabric but we've even seen some beautiful stuff on this board that men have created.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:05 PM

Are you kidding me! Some of the best quilters are men! We have a guy in town that won first place over all the other ladies....and that was over 100 or so I think. They are great! Push him on it. My X started sewing bears before the divorce and I'm trying to get him into quilting now. LOL...

The guy on the right is the maker of this quilt.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]117395[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-117390.jpe  
Old 02-04-2011, 04:15 PM

Many men quiit. I have a friend who's husband does cross-stitch, my brother does cross-stitch, I know a guy at work who does crochet and one of my quilting friends hubby quilts. Hey why not, lots of ladies are into wood working and mechanics. Earl Flynn quilts!I think that is his name?)
Old 02-04-2011, 04:22 PM

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...857438962.html

the above is an article that hit tv not long ago.

http://jerwife3.wordpress.com/2006/07/21/men-who-quilt/

tell hubby to check out this next site. he can also see the photos of the work they do.

http://manquilters.ning.com/
Old 02-04-2011, 04:30 PM

Don't understand some of these attitudes from both males and females about what is a decent female and male occupation - this is 2011 and anyone can do what they like and enjoy, whether they are 'straight' or not. We have a mixture of both in the groups that I belong to and nobody cares one way or the other, except for the decent companionship in a craft that we love. One of my neighbours likes to do exquisite petit-point and he sits out on his front verandah doing it - much to the delight of his neighbours, his kids and his wife who all stroll by for a chat and a look (and a cup of coffee if you're there at the right time)
Get him to have a look at the male quilters in this group - one being a well known judge and teacher who is recogniseable over here as well - if that doesn't convince him you may as well accept that he's not interested.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:34 PM

Happy Friday

My dad was a disabled also and I taught him to do needlepoint and to cross stitch his back where as beautiful as his fronts. I told him if it was good enough for Rosie Greagr to do then it was good enough for him to do Rosie did because he didn't like to fly ( he was a football player)
My dad's work would have won ribbons if I had entered them at the fair

Littlebelle
Old 02-04-2011, 04:50 PM

I have been quilting for about 30 years....my Dh has been quilting for about 15 years. The first 15 he had other hobbies that took up his time...golf, fishing, bowling, etc. Now, after shoulder and knee problems, he turned to quilting...he saw a man doing a demo at a quilt show...and the rest is history. He enters in competition which I hate to do, and has won many ribbons. He prefers to hand piece and hand quilt, but also machine pieces and quilts baby quilts for each girl that gets pregnant at his office. About five years ago, he lost the sight in his right eye and eventually had to have the eye removed. I thought he would stop quilting, but he hasn't. Men are great quilters. Look up John Flynn on the internet...he is an engineer...and a professional quilter. His wife also.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by redeagle
There is a quilt shop in Phoenix called "The Three Dudes" which is owned and run by 3 men who really know their stuff and do marvelous work.
I visited their shop this past fall...it is very nice and they have wonderful ideas to share.
Old 02-04-2011, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by SWChick
I am a newbie so I don't know quilters on the board but need some help. My DH is a disabled vet with too much time on his hands. I think he would be a great quilter because he has a great eye for detail, color and design. He has helped me cut a few times and each cut is perfect. The trouble is that he doesn't believe men quilt. He is so old school that he can't belive that a man can work with fabric and be stright. Need some help in convincing him that men make great quilters. HELP

You are very close to The Quilt Works at Juan Tabo and Menaul in ABQ. The owners, husband and wife, quilt and both teach classes. They have a website to give you an idea what they have to offer. :-)

Wish my hubby would get involved as it would be great to have a sewing studio.