Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Quilt made from men's ties

Blog Entries
    I have a collection of men's ties, some from my husband, and others from my father who passed away 2 years ago. I have about 60, but probably I will need to visit the local Goodwill for more. I would love to make them into a quilt. Does anyone have an idea for a pattern? Should I wash the ties first? Most of them are silk and I am not sure how to wash them.

I've never made one so I'm no help but I have seen some wonderful ones. I can't wait to see yours.

here's my favorite.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-22667-1.htm

She gives all the info for making it in that topic.

http://images.google.com/images?sour...ed=0CC8QsAQwBQ

I did a search and found a ton of patterns- maybe one of these will inspire you... good luck!

Ive made a few of the necktie quilts, mostly used crazy block patterns. They are lots of fun to do!!! I just cut the ties into pieces,pressed them nicely, took out any stained areas, and used a lightweight foundation.
    hope this link goes thru
    http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/...39037944ZtFskG

This is by one of our members here on the board. Check it out and I'm sure you could PM her with any questions you may have.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38285-1.htm

Quote Originally Posted by quilter1
    I have a collection of men's ties, some from my husband, and others from my father who passed away 2 years ago. I have about 60, but probably I will need to visit the local Goodwill for more. I would love to make them into a quilt. Does anyone have an idea for a pattern? Should I wash the ties first? Most of them are silk and I am not sure how to wash them.
    I did a Q sized quilt using ties and the crazy quilt block pattern. I first washed the ties in a lingerie bag and dried them. If they held up and didn't fall apart, then I took them apart and used them in the quilt. I found that there is a chain stitch holding the tie together, and I can usually get it to come apart by starting at the small end of the tie, and just pull it out. I saved the colored lining and tags, but tossed the filler; I couldn't think of a good way to use it. Maybe one of you quilters have an idea? (reduce, reuse, recycle) LOL

That is awesome!

hi, yes, I would suggest you wash and dry all ties first. I made a log cabin and a dresden plate quilt from men's ties, and it does take many!

Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    I've never made one so I'm no help but I have seen some wonderful ones. I can't wait to see yours.
    ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
    Quote Originally Posted by littlehud
    ditto
    The same goes for me! I'm looking forward to seein how you take the ties & make them into a quilt!

thanks for posting this link, I got some great ideas!

This tie quilt is gorgeous. Where can get this pattern?

Here is a picture of one I made. The fabrics are so soft. Wash them first, but don't worry about the stain, they are memories.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Linda
    Let every day be the best day of your life!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts View Post
    I did a Q sized quilt using ties and the crazy quilt block pattern. I first washed the ties in a lingerie bag and dried them. If they held up and didn't fall apart, then I took them apart and used them in the quilt. I found that there is a chain stitch holding the tie together, and I can usually get it to come apart by starting at the small end of the tie, and just pull it out. I saved the colored lining and tags, but tossed the filler; I couldn't think of a good way to use it. Maybe one of you quilters have an idea? (reduce, reuse, recycle) LOL
    i make my sons brocade vest and ties to match,he wears to work every day. but i can not find the lining fabric.

I am wondering how these ties hold up in a quilt. My grandmother made a quilt out of ties for my son and the ties really did not hold up. I don't know if we did not care for the quilt properly or what.

I have made a bunch of quilty things with ties (before there were books on the subject) -- including a pillow. I took the ties apart and washed them (the interfacing really shrink in some ties). I did use net bags to wash them. Starch them when you iron them -- the fabrics have a mind of their own. When you hold the tie with the point down, that is the bias so you have to handle them carefully and starch helps. It also helps to iron a light weight fuzible web to the back of the ties before you cut them -- that will make sewing them easier. I have a tie quilt that was made as a crazy quilt by a the women's auxilliary of the VFW back in the 1950's and only one of the ties has shredded.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Blog Entries
    I am a new member. So glad I found someone who likes to share this activity. I am on my 4th tie quilt. They are all made from the generations of the men in my family to new borns in the family. I do wash the ties first. Put them in a dryer on low. This is only if you are going to actually use the quilt and not hang it on wall.I take them apart, and iron them flat removing the muslim lining. I hand sew the ties into designs as an appliqué, as well as embroidery details.
    My designs have included Kites, a dragonfly, shimmering cross, and now I'm trying a peacock. If anyone knows how I could detail the bird face, I'd so appreciate it.

If you need more ties let me know. I collected them for a while and was going to make a quilt but have decided if i could sell them all I will. I am in the process of simplifying my life and decided why would I want a tie quilt when in my family they don't even wear a tie to a funeral lol.

I washed silk ties in cold water. I was told to hang dry them but I put them in my drier on delicate setting and they all came out beautifully. I used about 80 ties for a 64/74 size quilt. That will give you an idea of how many you might need. Mine were cut into 4 in squares to make bow tie blocks. I used about 140 four inch squares for background.
    Last edited by barbhabo; 04-29-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek View Post
    This is by one of our members here on the board. Check it out and I'm sure you could PM her with any questions you may have.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-38285-1.htm
    Wow! This is a beautiful quilt!! (There is a book on using ties to make quilts. Our guild library has it. I know it was bought from Amazon.)

Dina
    Last edited by Dina; 04-29-2013 at 02:12 PM. Reason: typed message before I thought...

That is the coolest idea, ever. Please show us when you're done!

Blog Entries
    I bought a lot of silk ties at thrift stores and I washed them before I took them apart because I was afraid they would ravel too much. I washed them on the 5 min gentle cycle in cold water with regular laundry soap. They came out fine. I wish I had known this when my husband was wearing ties all the time and we always had them cleaned.

Blog Entries
    Here are a few tie quilts I made. I don't have a finished picture of the crazy quilt darn it! That was one one my favorites.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lisa B in NC
    Quilting is my Happy Thought!
    http://www.quiltingkrazy.blogspot.com