Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilt made from men's ties >

Quilt made from men's ties

Quilt made from men's ties

Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 PM

Originally Posted by Oklahoma Suzie
Originally Posted by littlehud
I've never made one so I'm no help but I have seen some wonderful ones. I can't wait to see yours.
ditto
The same goes for me! I'm looking forward to seein how you take the ties & make them into a quilt!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:33 AM

thanks for posting this link, I got some great ideas!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:18 AM

This tie quilt is gorgeous. Where can get this pattern?
Old 04-02-2012, 03:09 PM

Here is a picture of one I made. The fabrics are so soft. Wash them first, but don't worry about the stain, they are memories.
Attached Thumbnails ties2.jpg  
Old 04-02-2012, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts View Post
I did a Q sized quilt using ties and the crazy quilt block pattern. I first washed the ties in a lingerie bag and dried them. If they held up and didn't fall apart, then I took them apart and used them in the quilt. I found that there is a chain stitch holding the tie together, and I can usually get it to come apart by starting at the small end of the tie, and just pull it out. I saved the colored lining and tags, but tossed the filler; I couldn't think of a good way to use it. Maybe one of you quilters have an idea? (reduce, reuse, recycle) LOL
i make my sons brocade vest and ties to match,he wears to work every day. but i can not find the lining fabric.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:53 PM

I am wondering how these ties hold up in a quilt. My grandmother made a quilt out of ties for my son and the ties really did not hold up. I don't know if we did not care for the quilt properly or what.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:17 PM

I have made a bunch of quilty things with ties (before there were books on the subject) -- including a pillow. I took the ties apart and washed them (the interfacing really shrink in some ties). I did use net bags to wash them. Starch them when you iron them -- the fabrics have a mind of their own. When you hold the tie with the point down, that is the bias so you have to handle them carefully and starch helps. It also helps to iron a light weight fuzible web to the back of the ties before you cut them -- that will make sewing them easier. I have a tie quilt that was made as a crazy quilt by a the women's auxilliary of the VFW back in the 1950's and only one of the ties has shredded.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:20 PM

I am a new member. So glad I found someone who likes to share this activity. I am on my 4th tie quilt. They are all made from the generations of the men in my family to new borns in the family. I do wash the ties first. Put them in a dryer on low. This is only if you are going to actually use the quilt and not hang it on wall.I take them apart, and iron them flat removing the muslim lining. I hand sew the ties into designs as an appliqué, as well as embroidery details.
My designs have included Kites, a dragonfly, shimmering cross, and now I'm trying a peacock. If anyone knows how I could detail the bird face, I'd so appreciate it.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:35 PM

If you need more ties let me know. I collected them for a while and was going to make a quilt but have decided if i could sell them all I will. I am in the process of simplifying my life and decided why would I want a tie quilt when in my family they don't even wear a tie to a funeral lol.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:37 PM

I washed silk ties in cold water. I was told to hang dry them but I put them in my drier on delicate setting and they all came out beautifully. I used about 80 ties for a 64/74 size quilt. That will give you an idea of how many you might need. Mine were cut into 4 in squares to make bow tie blocks. I used about 140 four inch squares for background.

Last edited by barbhabo; 04-29-2013 at 12:39 PM.