Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mending--I don't think so.... >

Mending--I don't think so....

Mending--I don't think so....

Old 03-01-2013, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
You don't even want to know what my mending pile looks like! And somehow DH thinks I can make whole cloth out of thin air with the things he sticks in that pile!
My hubby brought in his barn jacket-----------with the whole front bottom worn off---------to get mended. I thought I'd fix him good, so I found some fleece with a cardinal on it and used that. I thought maybe that would discourage him coming back with more mending. Didn't phase him. His tools don't care one hoot what he looks like.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
You don't even want to know what my mending pile looks like! And somehow DH thinks I can make whole cloth out of thin air with the things he sticks in that pile!
Ah but you can! Just cut it up into squares,strips etc and make a quilt.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:51 PM

I've been sewing since I was 12. I made my clothes, my wedding dress, my children's clothes, until my daughter was in college, I made clothes for other people, I made bedspreads, drapes, cushions, etc, for other people( for money) and I still make drapes and cushions for my house. But I've lost all interest in making clothes for myself, and haven't done so in years. And I detest mending, but I'll do it if I have to.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:01 PM

Sharoney -- I agree. I have been sewing since 5 (grandma's treadle -- oh how I wish that machine did not get taken to the dump). I started making my own clothes at 9, made my wedding dress, shirts and pj's for DH and children's clothes. In college I did mending (and made good money). I made drapes, cushions, did upholstering and made throw pillows. I too have a hard time making something for myself -- and lately I have had a hard time getting motivated to do any sewing (sigh) even though I feel like I am in heaven when I go down and quilt. I will do mending, but not happily.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:10 PM

Michelangelo wasn't too good to do a church ceiling, and I'm not too good to mend. I'll hem something, stitch something if a seam rips, etc. My son will often tear up something and I'll fix it. I've sewn all my life and can do a zipper, but my dry cleaner will do it for $10, so why should I bother? But the tone of the inital Facebook quote bothers me, even if said in jest-I have an issue with every second rate quilter who calls themselves an artist and their sewing room a studio. Pleeeezzzzeee, honey, we've seen your work. Not you, Booklady, some of the people on Facebook forums.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by jzaaboo View Post
Michelangelo wasn't too good to do a church ceiling, and I'm not too good to mend. I'll hem something, stitch something if a seam rips, etc. My son will often tear up something and I'll fix it. I've sewn all my life and can do a zipper, but my dry cleaner will do it for $10, so why should I bother? But the tone of the inital Facebook quote bothers me, even if said in jest-I have an issue with every second rate quilter who calls themselves an artist and their sewing room a studio. Pleeeezzzzeee, honey, we've seen your work. Not you, Booklady, some of the people on Facebook forums.

OUCH! That stings!
Old 03-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by jzaaboo View Post
I have an issue with every second rate quilter who calls themselves an artist and their sewing room a studio. Pleeeezzzzeee, honey, we've seen your work..

A beautiful colored or patterned quilt that may not have the precision sewing or piecing will win my vote over a masterfully sewn butt ugly quilt any day.
Old 03-02-2013, 12:46 PM

I will do basic mending. Not for money and only for family or close friends. I had someone ask me if I altered clothes and I said "no." I can follow a basic pattern, like a vest or tote bag, but changing it to where it will fit a certain body type - not skilled enough.

I'm not a professional quilter but I call the room where my machines are my "Quilt Studio." Years ago, I was watching an episode of Murphy Brown. She was at an Art Exhibit and she made a statement that her 2 year old could do better. So, she pretended that some of her childs drawings were actually by a famous artist and she fooled a lot of people. Anyone else remember that episode. It's been a looooong time ago.

So, art, like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.
Old 03-03-2013, 03:54 AM

I sew, I quilt. I love to sew, that was my first love, and I did not make a quilt until a few years ago. I am not very good at altering, but I can struggle thru. Right now I am in the middle of making my dd wedding dress. Well not really in the middle but starting over as she found a pattern she likes better than the one we first intended. So today I am hitting JoAnns for more muslin to make a test dress, then onto the real one for her. I loved making clothes for my grandkids, still do. I don't sew much for myself anymore, but I do still do sewing to decorate. Have a very cool little sewing room with all the things I have made, so I guess I love to do both. And I have to say I am probably a better sewer than I am a quilter, but I have been sewing 90% of my lifetime, quilting not so long...
Old 03-03-2013, 04:28 AM

I have a mug that says "quilters don't do buttons." That said, I sewed clothing for decades before discovering quilting. I will only do repairs for three people: my father-in-law (who thinks anything I touch is golden), my husband (who bought me TWO VikingHusqvarna machines and a house with a room to put them in) and my daughter. All others are informed that I don't do alterations or repairs because I hate hate hate doing them.