Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mending--I don't think so.... >

Mending--I don't think so....

Mending--I don't think so....

Old 03-04-2013, 02:13 PM

I've come to the point where I mend only for my family. All my friends can do their own (speaking honestly, with no hard feelings), and the few acquaintances have abused it, so they get a firm no. The last non-family who asked got quite shirty with me when I declined the second batch of unwashed things to fix or tailor for her. That said, I don't find mending difficult. Alterations can be, and I rarely do them anymore.

When I was still flushed with rage over the treatment from the former acquaintance, I found a mug online that I LOVED, from the Selfish Seamstress site (which used to be much busier than it is these days). I hope this doesn't offend anybody, but I find it hilariously funny.

Mug says:

Just because we're friends
Doesn't mean I'll spend my time
Fixing your ripped sh*t.

I drink my tea from this mug many mornings...
Old 03-04-2013, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I will hem and mend for someone that I love. . I used to sew for myself but I would much rather make quilts than clothes. However I adopted a 85 pound Boxer named Olivia that I am squeezing into a too small coat to go for walks. Bought the fleece will attempt to draft a pattern off the old coat and make it bigger. Poor Olivia they don't make cute clothes for big girls!
Olivia is beautiful and has such a sweet looking face. I too have an 85 lb boxer but have been lucky enough that the local feed store carries all sizes of doggie jackets from ultra small to really extra large.
FYI: I do mend hubby's work jeans cuz its too expensive not to seeing as he works near battery acid. I just put on a large patch then darn over the holes and he's thrilled that I mend for him. I give 110% effort to mending because I can hear my grammy saying that anything worth doing is worth doing well. She'd have been proud of the latest patching efforts. I will also patch for my younger DD's fiance because he's poor enough that new or new to him pants are sometimes beyond his means.
Chris
Old 03-04-2013, 06:23 PM

That is me, I use this saying in my signature. The relatives and friends better not ever ask me to mend or alter.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:43 PM

Well said.......glad I am not the only one who hates mending..........calla
Old 03-04-2013, 08:11 PM

Whenever someone asks me to mend something. I always say, 'I don't mend for other people, but if you want I have an extra sewing machine which you can have...and I will teach you how to do that yourself'. The conversation ends there. I do have an extra vintage machine for someone to take me up on the offer - sadly no one has.
Old 03-04-2013, 09:19 PM
Power Poster

I'd rather quilt, but sometimes things need fixing. Can't tell you how many jacket zippers I've replaced in just the last year alone. With all the clothing being made shoddily in China, you'd better know how to mend!

Funny but recently I mended an old special quilt for a neighbor. Her mom had made it for her son when he was little and now the grandmother is long gone, the son in his 40's, and the quilt well loved and coming apart. This neighbor's sister is a quilter, but for some reason she brought it to me. I patched, stitched and repaired it and suggested they quit washing the poor old thing. It wouldn't be able to take much more. It was an honor to repair something with such sentimental value to someone.