Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mending--I don't think so.... >

Mending--I don't think so....

Mending--I don't think so....

Old 03-04-2013, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by booklady1952 View Post
I saw a posting on Facebook, but couldn't figure out how to post it here.

It was one of those cute antique-looking cards that said:

Asking a quilter to mend something is like asking Michelangelo to paint a garage.

Very clever, huh?
Years ago, way before I started quilting and to this very day I tell everyone, I'd rather make an outfit from scratch than mend one. Last yr when my sister asked me to mend a pair of pants I told her she was lucky because she probably was the only one that I'd make an exception for. I mended her pants, but I still hate mending, no matter what it is.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie View Post
LOL, I'll mend for a price. But have yet to find anyone who'd offer even a cup of coffee.
Now this is me. I hate to mend but can make clothes and mend but would do it for a price. My PC teacher told me, always tell someone when they ask if you can do something, "yes, for a fee". That usually stops the asking. I feel I'm worth paying for, especially if the person asking can't do it themselves, why should you do it for free. Not me.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 AM

Oh my goodness I have seen this one a few times. Also - "asking a quilter to hem your pants is like asking Picasso to paint your bathroom".

People don't get that I'm not a seamstress and quilting is a totally different realm of sewing. They just figure I have a sewing machine so I must be DYING to hem twenty pair of paints for them.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:54 AM

I sorta feel obligated to fix DH's trouser hemlines, but NOTHING else. Absolutely NO MENDING!

My version is, asking a quilter to mend is like asking a chef to do the dishes. It's on my refrigerator, and will be on my sewing room wall as soon as I find time to embroider it.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
Now this is me. I hate to mend but can make clothes and mend but would do it for a price. My PC teacher told me, always tell someone when they ask if you can do something, "yes, for a fee". That usually stops the asking. I feel I'm worth paying for, especially if the person asking can't do it themselves, why should you do it for free. Not me.
I couldn't agree more, so many people ask me, and my quilting pupils, who that is lovely can you make me one.

When my pupils tell me I glare at them and say don't you dare say yes unless you say if you pay for all the goodies I will donate my time and skill.

No-one asks me anymore as they have no idea of what making a quilt costs, until I tell them!
Old 03-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Power Poster

DH has figured out the he needs to take the pants to the alteration store if he ever plans to wear them. I am no good at mending. If push came to shove I could do it, but it takes me a long time. Now I will sew on the occasional button or hem up his lounge pants.
Old 03-04-2013, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk View Post
I mend clothes. I make clothes. And I quilt. To me it sewing which I like to do.

I am meticulous in mending clothes as I am in my quilting.
Chasing Hawk, I'm the same way! Right now I have 3 or 4 pairs of jeans to mend and I'm hoping to get them done today! I'm also going to wash some flannes I will be using in a quilt for a new grandbaby due in April...and sometime I'm going to dig in my stash of scraps from making prom dresses (years ago!) and do a crazy quilt!
Old 03-04-2013, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by QultingaddictUK View Post
I couldn't agree more, so many people ask me, and my quilting pupils, who that is lovely can you make me one.

When my pupils tell me I glare at them and say don't you dare say yes unless you say if you pay for all the goodies I will donate my time and skill.

No-one asks me anymore as they have no idea of what making a quilt costs, until I tell them!
How right you are! Some time ago, I took a quilt top I had made along to work to show a coworker (who also quilts) what my Turning Twenty top looked like. Another coworker said "Oh, you can make one for me in these color!" I told her to go buy the fabric required and informed her what was needed. Nope...never heard any more about it!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:33 PM

I'm with those of you who would rather do the whole garment from scratch than to make alterations (other than hems). And NO I will not replace your broken zipper! Sew on a button, yes. Fix the handle of your tote, ok. Restitch a seam, sure. Take an old piece of costuming and make a new one like it - hmmm, maybe I will be in the mood one of these days. But I'm going to do whatever I do when it is convenient and don't hold your breath if you want it right away. Might happen, might not.
Same with my quilts, if I made it then of course I will repair it. But again it may take awhile. And if I'm making you a quilt it might be done in time for your birthday - some year.
Old 03-04-2013, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I will hem and mend for someone that I love. . I used to sew for myself but I would much rather make quilts than clothes. However I adopted a 85 pound Boxer named Olivia that I am squeezing into a too small coat to go for walks. Bought the fleece will attempt to draft a pattern off the old coat and make it bigger. Poor Olivia they don't make cute clothes for big girls!

Sideways - google fitted dog coats - you will find DOZENS of dog coat patterns, plus instructions on many of them (but not all) telling how to fit it to YOUR dog, which can be hugely helpful.