Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Merry Christmas from Germany - Brother PQ1500S and hints please >

Merry Christmas from Germany - Brother PQ1500S and hints please

Merry Christmas from Germany - Brother PQ1500S and hints please

Old 12-05-2013, 02:19 AM

Default Merry Christmas from Germany - Brother PQ1500S and hints please

Hi everyone,

I'm emerging from behind the shadows to thank you for all the knowledge shared on this website. My wife just recently took up quilting and is really excelling with it but has been limited by a not-so-great sewing machine. Many hours spent searching around on this site narrowed my focus down to the Brother PQ1500S. Based on the very positive reviews I've seen, I'm sure it will be a great machine for her.

As part of this Christmas gift, I wanted to add some short helpful hints from the wizards on this board that own this machine already (since I know next to nothing about quilting...) to help her get started with it. Since I haven't contributed anything to this board I hope you don't take offense for my asking advice on her behalf! We're stationed in Germany now and getting this beast shipped out here was quite a feat. I plan to turn over this account to her so she can learn more from the masters after the 25th. Thanks in advance for any pointers!

Ryan
Old 12-05-2013, 02:25 AM

Congratulations, Ryan, for helping to get your DW started in this awesome hobby of quiltmaking. You are a keeper for being so supportive and for providing her with a great machine. And thank you for your sacrifices and your service to our country.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:30 AM

I think that is an awesome Christmas gift ! Not just the machine, though that is awesome too, but you putting in the effort like that to find it ! I have had mine since March of this year, and I LOVE it ! My advice would be to remember to oil it regularly ! Most of the newer home sewing machines do not require oiling like the 1500 will, and at first I did not realize that, since my other machine never did ! I oil my pq1500 about once a week, or more depending on how much use it is getting, or whenever I hear it starting to sound a little rough and it makes a world of difference !
Old 12-05-2013, 03:17 AM

I do own a brother machine but nothing as fantastic as the new you bought your wife. My advise keep the handbook with you at all times even if you go to a class. Keep it clean. Just look at the build up after a day. I would also search for either online utubes or classes on the machine or local classes. An expert showing you how. Many fantastic things it can do. Find a local dealer incase it goes wrong or do you know some wonderful person who can repair.
Old 12-05-2013, 03:23 AM

I know nothing about the machine you bought for DW, but will it work on 220V?
Old 12-05-2013, 06:50 AM

Luckily we have a couple transformers capable of handling 110v machines, but good double check!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:39 AM

I have had the Brother 1500 for years and it is easy to use. It requires very little maintenance. Keep the dust cleaned from around the bobbin and around the needle area. Oil it regularly and that's all you have to do. I never even take mine in for a yearly maintenance like I do some of my other machines. It is a great sewing machine. I hope she enjoys it as much as I do mine. Thank you for your service, and have a Merry Christmas!
Old 12-05-2013, 07:44 AM

Welcome to the forum! I did a quick search here & if you scroll through you can find at least 5 other threads with that machine. Hope some of that info might be helpful and it also might identify other members who have the machine. It's very easy for members to miss postings. http://www.quiltingboard.com/search....archid=8009989
Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 AM

I own 6 machines and that one is my favorite. Good choice!

Question: Will your wife be sewing AND quilting her quilts on this machine?

There is a Yahoo group for owners of the 1500, I recommend joining.

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/PQ1500/info
Old 12-05-2013, 07:52 AM
Power Poster

If your wife joins the board she will always have help when she needs it. I have the Brother 1500. I had trouble with the thread coming unthreaded when using the auto cutter. I learned not to thread the three hole bar at the top of the machine. I use the far right hole of it as a thread guide and no more unthreading. And do not leave a spool of thread on the second spool pin when not using it. It will get caught up in the wheel and be wound up before you know is happening. I know that for a fact. Every problem I've had I found most of the answers on the yahoo group. The dealer here isn't any help at all.