Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What do you think of the Brother PQ1500S Sewing and Quilting Machine

Blog Entries

Question What do you think of the Brother PQ1500S Sewing and Quilting Machine

What are your thoughts about the Brother PQ 1500S Sewing and Quilting Machine?

I usually sew on a Bernina 1620. but want something with a larger space to quilt on.

Appreciate all input asap.

warm regards

Rhodi

We use this machine at the bridal alterations shop. I love it. Remember it is a straight stitch machine only, but does that very well. Real workhorse of a machine. It has a thread cutter and reverse both features that are very handy.
    Crashnquilt

Wouldn't you like to live with my mind just for a moment? I wish you would, I think I need to get OUT OF IT!

I use this machine both for piecing and for quilting and it works very well. I have the New Joy frame I can set it into or more often I just quilt on my sewing table. I have used a lot of domestic machines as well as industrial ones and find this one a jewel.

Blog Entries
    I appreciate your thoughts!

Blog Entries
    How old is your machine?

Lots of people on this board have posted about that machine, and all reviews have been positive! I don't have one personally (maybe someday).

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I love mine. I use it for everything that can be done with a straight stitch which in my case, is pretty much everything.

I've had mine of 2 years and never had any problems. It likes to be oiled regularly but that only takes a minute to do.

I bought this machine a couple of months ago to replace a mega quilter 9in throat that died. So far I love it, no problems. I don't use the threader just do it by hand so can't comment on it. Great price also.
    Jeanann

Theres nothing wrong with me a little chocolate won't fix.

Blog Entries
    I am getting enthused... Does anyone use a walking foot with it?

I bought my at Allbrands for $599.00 with free shipping. It came with a bunch of different feet and a walking foot. I have used the walking foot with no problems. It really is a great machine.

I love mine too. I have had it for several years. I use the walking foot to do straight line quilting. Everything about it works great. I do piecing and quilting on it nearly every day. It likes to be cleaned and oiled regularly and just purrs like a kitten. I have never had it serviced. I highly recommend this machine. It is definitely a workhorse.

Just want to add; Ditto to all of the above. It sews right over all those intersecting seams without a problem, the quality of the stitch is superior and the price is very moderate. Would recommend it to any quilter. Very occasionaly I wish it had a simple zigzag but that is the only thing I sometimes miss.

I have 2 of the PQ1500S machines and love them! I have two because my first one was in for a service and the shop was taking too long to get it back to me, so I decided to buy another for backup.

I've used the walking foot a lot - to the point that it's now worn out and I need a new one. I've pieced on it, FMQed on it, and have sewn some really thick stuff with it, even vinyl and webbing. They are tough machines. I love the needle threader and the thread cutter.

I'm now considering the purchase of a Grace King quilting frame for one of the machines. I realize I will probably quickly run out of room because of the size of the arm, but I think it will be great for learning.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another PQ1500S if I ever had the need for one.

On another note, I also have a 1941 Singer 15 that I've done a lot of piecing on, and if I had gotten this machine first, I may have never needed the PQ1500S. So if cost is an issue, you may want to consider an older machine. My Singer 15 sews smooth as silk. The only thing I miss on it is the reverse, thread cutter, and needle threader. When you compare the prices though, the old machine is a much better deal.

Hope this is helpful - let me now if you need more details.

Jodie