Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Metallic Thread Shredding Problems >

Metallic Thread Shredding Problems

Metallic Thread Shredding Problems

Old 06-01-2016, 03:00 PM

Default Metallic Thread Shredding Problems

I am having problems with metallic thread shredding. I am doing Cathedral Window and wanted to stitch down the curved bias edges with silver metallic.

I have used about a quarter of the thread on this particular spool without any problems on other projects but suddenly it is starting to shred. Needle has been changed to thread manufacturers recommendation (14/90), I swapped out the bobbin, cleaned the machine etc. Stitching starts out just fine, then after about 10 stitches, the thread begins to shred and/or break.

Any idea of what could be going wrong? I have tried changing stitch length and tension but without much success.

Many thanks

HettyB
Old 06-01-2016, 03:12 PM

If you go to Superior Threads website and read about needles you will likely be amazed. Unless you know a lot about needles that is but it sounds like you would be interested in learning a little more about needled. dr. Bob, owner of Superior and needle expert, lectures all over the country about thread and needles. According to the expert, the only needles he uses are the titanium coated top-stitch. According to dr. Bob all we need is 4 needles: Titanium coated 70/10, 80/12, 90/14 and 100/16. Watch their short video to determine which needle to use for which application. Good luck and happy quilting. And after you do what dr bob says for metallic thread,, tell us if that does not work
Old 06-01-2016, 03:32 PM

Been a long time since I've used metallic thread, but I seem to recall if there was a prob, there was some sort of lubricant spray......I may be dreaming...
Old 06-01-2016, 03:37 PM

I used a metallic needle when I sewed with a metallic thread. But it seemed like there wad a learning curve.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:59 PM

Try a top stitch needle & some Sewer's Aid. Also, you're using a 50wt "matching" cotton in the bobbin, right? (by matching I mean roughly the same color but not metallic) If not, I'd try those 2 things ... plus the video that Jane recommended is good.
Old 06-01-2016, 04:29 PM

I agree with using a topstitch needle. Even though you're using the "recommended" needle, the amount of friction on metallic thread may be too much for it to handle. Metallic thread is notoriously shreddy (and yes I did just make up that word. )

Topstitch needles have larger eyes and a longer scarf, which protects the thread from friction as it moves in and out of the fabric. If you still have problems with shredding, you might try a larger needle.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:17 PM

Have you tried flossing out your tension discs and rethreading?

Rob
Old 06-01-2016, 06:52 PM

Besides the needle having a larger eye, you might want to check how the thread is coming off the spool.
It needs to unwind as it went on the spool.
If I set my thread on the machine
( upright ) and lift it up and hook it, then thread the machine, the thread is twisting as it goes up to the hook, don't want that.
Hold your thread with your index finger on top of the spool, and your thumb on the bottom, watch and pull the thread away from the spool, it doesn't twist.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:52 PM
Power Poster

I would try everything recommended.

I have to say that I had a similar problem with my machine many years ago. Worked fine with the metallic, then suddenly started shredding. I had not even changed the project I was working on. I tried absolutely everything and nothing worked, so I tucked the project away in the UFO tote. I'd try again every once in awhile, but no go. After literally YEARS, that same thread on that same project worked fine. I think that there must have been some tiny piece of thread caught somewhere in the upper or lower tension mechanisms that I couldn't see and that I was unable to dislodge with my cleanings. My theory is that years of use finally dislodged whatever tiny piece of lint or thread was causing the problem.

Haven't read all the other posts, but I would recommend flossing between the upper tension discs (if you can reach them on your machine) and also using a magnifying glass to *closely* examine all areas of the lower tension mechanism. (If flossing, either use several strands of regular thread or ***unwaxed*** dental floss; waxed floss can mess up your upper tension discs.)

And, all I can say is, I hope you have better luck than I did!
Old 06-02-2016, 02:32 AM
Power Poster

Two things works for me when dealing with metallic thread.
First, I use Schmetz Metallic needles because they have larger eye opening
http://www.joann.com/schmetz-metalli...edles&start=10
and this lubricant
http://www.joann.com/dritz-sewers-aid/14019319.html
You just run a bead along the length of your spool.