Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Metallic Thread >

Metallic Thread

Metallic Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 02:49 PM

Default Metallic Thread

I'd like to use gold metallic thread for my Christmas quilt. The one I found was 40 weight Rayon. Will this work for handquilting? If you have used metallic thread did you like the finished product? If anyone has ever used Metallic thread would you please tell me what brand where you found it? Thank you so much!!!
Old 09-03-2014, 04:13 PM

I have never had luck with metallic thread for machine quilting (I don't hand quilt so I can't comment on that). But I did recently discover shades of Glide thread that have a metallic look and are so much easier to work with. The Dijon is a bright gold, Sand a softer gold. Here is a link I posted a few weeks ago.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...e-t251665.html
Old 09-03-2014, 08:49 PM

I hand quilted an entire quilt out of gold metallic thread and I will never do it again. The fabric was difficult to thread into the eye of a small quilting needle, broke a lot, bunched the metallic up on the thread and I have read that when you wash them the metallic can stain the fabric - from getting wet. It was a quilt my son designed and was for him but because I would not let his friends pile up on the bed we ended up putting it in a drawer. But it is beautiful and a one of a kind quilt.
Old 09-04-2014, 12:19 AM

I've used Coats and Clark metallic when machine quilting without too many breakages. Got it at walmart.
Old 09-04-2014, 01:38 AM
Power Poster

Find and use a metallic needle in the size appropriate for the thread weight- use short lengths (12"-18") to reduce fraying/breakage. I have found rayon thread is (OK) for embroidery where there is a lot of stitching, but generally not very strong- breaks easily. Rayon metallic is OK for decorative stitching, embellishing but does not hold up to laundering or pressing. There are some choices now better suited for a quilt that may be *used*. If your Christmas quilt is a wall hanging it should be OK. If you are making a quilt you plan to use you might want to check out other options. The Glide thread has some metallic looking golds,silvers also Sulky has some that are quite shiny, I'm sure there are more. Check Superior Threads, Thread Art, Atlanta Threads, Sulky and YLI
Old 09-04-2014, 02:49 AM
Power Poster

I have never hand quilted with metallic but would you not want to look more to a product of DMC??
Old 09-04-2014, 06:03 AM

Have you tried Superior Metallic threads? They are supposed to be really nice. I have one, but haven't tried it yet.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:20 AM

I've been doing some more searching for alternatives to metallic thread and found good reviews for Metro. From what I've read it's being compared to Glide but some say it has a little more sheen to it. Has anyone used it?
Old 09-05-2014, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltngolfer View Post
Have you tried Superior Metallic threads? They are supposed to be really nice. I have one, but haven't tried it yet.
I haven't used any metallic thread yet. I'm one of those that quilts with only neutral colors but I'm ready to try something with more color. I think I've decided to stay away from metallic after the comment Purpleprint left. Certainly don't want to wash my quilt and then find the metallic has stained it. Mine are all loved and used so they have to stand up to washing.
Old 09-05-2014, 06:42 AM

I have tried many different metallic threads with the correct needles etc and have never had any luck! Then at a workshop up in Tahoe with Donna Greenwald, I was introduced to superior glitter thread and love it!! Never breaks, even stitches, easy to thread!