Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Misc. Long Arm Charges >

Misc. Long Arm Charges

Misc. Long Arm Charges

Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by cjtinkle View Post
I no longer quilt for hire, but here's my take on it. You're paying a professional to QUILT your quilt, not make repairs or clean up a mess. I consider a wavy border part of the job, but not seaming yardage for backing, trimming stray threads, pressing, etc. If you want your longarmer to do a beautiful and professional job, then give her your best effort.
I totally agree! My mom is a long arm quilter and she has shown me some tops that just will not lay flat. They are hard to quilt and have them look good. Yes, extra charges should be charged if the quilter has to do more than just quilt. The people who are patiently wiating for their turn should not have to wait any longer than they have to. for thiers to be finished.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:39 AM

Wrinkled quilt - $20.00
Cutting threads - $20.00
Loose threads - $10.00 (I use a sticky roller on top only)
Backing - $15.00 per seam
Wavy border - a slight wave, will try to quilt it out with the rest of the quilt
very wavy - I will not do
Squaring a top - to trim the tops $10.00 - if the quilt is not fairly square, will not quilt it
Most of these things I do not like to do, so everyone knows right up front what it will cost to do, no surprises. I do not expect every quilt to be perfect, just made with care and reasonable square. There will be a lot of time spent on the quilting so don't really want to spend an excessive amount of time on trying to make something look nice that has not had much time or thought put into it.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Power Poster

Thanks for all your comments. I am not in business per se, but just do quilting for friends and family who will be happy to pay for additional services, but I had no idea what to ask for. The $/hour work out to about what QuiltNama quoted and about what I had in mind. thanks so much. this is also why I don't want to go into business. Doing a few additional tasks on the small number of quilts I get paid for is ok, but I wouldn't want to do it for a living!