Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
mixing 2500 plus 2 1/2" sqs >

mixing 2500 plus 2 1/2" sqs

mixing 2500 plus 2 1/2" sqs

Old 08-13-2016, 03:05 PM

Default mixing 2500 plus 2 1/2" sqs

Help! I for some unknown reason decided to make several quilts out of left over Christmas fabric. I already had some cut in 2 1/2 sq so (why oh why) I thought that sounded like a good size. So far have cut approx 2500 squares. My question is how do you mix the whole batch up well so that I don't grab the same thing when I reach into the bag. Just so you know I have a terrible time making that kind of scrappy quilt. I am forever second guessing which color should go next. The colors range from FUN bright colors to darker more SERIOUS colors. WHAT have I gotten myself into!!! Quilts to be large lap size somewhere around 50" by 70". Thanks for all suggestion given. I know you girls will have some idea of what to do.
Old 08-13-2016, 03:17 PM

I heard at some time in the past that someone put their pieces in the dryer for just a couple minutes. The tumbled just long enough to mix all the pieces up. I would not tumble too long for fear of fraying the edges. Good luck and I so look forward to seeing your scrappy quilts
Old 08-13-2016, 03:22 PM

I'm working with 1.5" squares right now, I finally picked out some by color and put them in paper bowls. Still totally scrappy but I'm not riffling through the box of cut squares, squishing and unraveling. It is working very well. When the bowls get about 1/2 used, I refill from the big box,

For a bit of control you could even do all green 4 patches, etc so it won't make you completely dizzy looking at the quilt
Old 08-13-2016, 03:47 PM
Banned

I separate lights and darks into 2 bags, grab one of each and sew them together. That way no picking the same two pieces.

Cari
Old 08-13-2016, 04:13 PM

I suppose if you are making more than one quilt you can put the fun, novelty prints in one quilt and the sophisticated prints in another. Sometimes scrappy quilts are not totally random. I like to use a unifying color as a sashing or a consistent light color for a background of scrappy stars, for example.
Or add other elements besides the 2.5" squares. One example is combining a 16-patch block of 2.5" squares with a pinwheel block. Another example is combining a 25- patch block of 2.5" squares with either a snowball block or an eight pointed star. It gives the eye a place to rest, and can form a chain effect.
Old 08-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
I separate lights and darks into 2 bags, grab one of each and sew them together. That way no picking the same two pieces.

Cari
this is what i do, too, but not in bags, just in open bins.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:34 PM

I have never been able to do a completely random scrappy. I put my squares or strings in piles by color, then rotate among the piles. I don't agonize over each piece, but use just a little judgement to alternate values and colors as I go through it.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:49 PM

I wish I had your problem....I would love to have 2500 2.5" squares. I am making a 2.5" scrappy now, but I have to cut . cut, cut
Old 08-13-2016, 07:05 PM

I'm getting a panic attack just thinking about 2500 totally random squares being sewn completely random, guess scrappy isn't for me! Sorry I have nothing constructive to add.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:12 PM

[QUOTE=Jane Quilter;7626662]I wish I had your problem....I would love to have 2500 2.5" squares. I am making a 2.5" scrappy now, but I have to cut . cut, cut[/QUOT]

Jane I have been cutting off and on for weeks. I think I cut close to 150 tonight. I know I will have to cut more. A few of my friends have said they would check their scraps for more Christmas fabric. Most of what I have cut is all mine. Some only a very few sqs and some a couple dozen. I cut strips, stack up to 6 and cut sqs then. It still takes forever and my back can only stand and cut for an hour or so. Of course first I have to press the wrinkles out of the fabric. I had better love these quilts when I finish! Good luck with yours' Need any more fabric? I have quite a stash but not much yardage. I am always willing to pass some on.