Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Mixing Antique Blocks With Reproduction Fabrics >

Mixing Antique Blocks With Reproduction Fabrics

Mixing Antique Blocks With Reproduction Fabrics

Old 09-07-2014, 06:09 AM

Default Mixing Antique Blocks With Reproduction Fabrics

I recently purchased a set of 1920s-30s Dresden Plate blocks which I plan to use for a quilt. There are 30 blocks, 15-16" square, all nicely hand pieced. Well, except for the centers, which range from "nearly round" to positively egg-shaped, but I find that rather charming.

Included with the blocks, was a completed section of border comprised of alternating Dresden blades with muslin, and about 60 extra Dresden blades which could be used to help complete a border. I haven't yet tried to lay out a border, but I suspect that I will come up short.

Here is my question: Does it really matter if one adds a few reproduction prints to complete a project like this? Considering that no matter what I do, the binding, backing and muslin used for the border will probably be newer fabric, does it matter at all? I know that a quilt is only considered as old as the newest fabric used to construct it. I'm not usually a "purist" by any stretch, but somehow I feel it would be best to at least "try" to keep this quilt as "antique" as possible. LOL seeing that in print makes me feel silly...any advice? Am I over thinking this? I mean, right now as it is, these are someone's UFO from 70+ years ago. What would you do?

Here is a link to the ebay sale with pics:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/30-Large-193...p2047675.l2557
Old 09-07-2014, 06:29 AM

I am wondering how fragile the blocks are, and the weave. Is it a loose weave? What do you intend on doing with the quilt, use it, or display it. I would maybe downsize the plan and make a table topper, or incorporate some blocks into a jacket or vest.............calla. Have fun with your find
Old 09-07-2014, 06:38 AM

I think your land will work nicely
Old 09-07-2014, 07:21 AM
Power Poster

Did you see this post?
http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...n-t252983.html
Old 09-07-2014, 07:25 AM

My plan was to display it on a guest room bed, or possibly hang it. The blocks are sturdy, with fine hand stitching, no loose seams and the weave is tight. The whole collection has a musty odor, and I've been soaking the blocks in Biz, per the advice of an expert in antique textiles. They are coming out looking absolutely great, with snowy white muslin and brightened color on the prints. To see the soaking water after adding the fabrics is amazing...and kind of alarming. I'm glad I was forewarned that the water would take on a "muddy" appearance, or I would have panicked!
Old 09-07-2014, 07:30 AM

PaperPrincess, thank you for posting that! That is certainly an amazing project and I can only hope mine comes out as nice!

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 AM

those dresdens look very interesting ...the photo on the extreme right looks so very close to some reproduction fabrics I have seen ---- the yellow looks identical to a yellow I used in a fan quilt in the late 70's......I don't see how many people would be able to tell whether it is a repro or not, so I think you could get away with using repros to finish it--I respect your interest in finishing it with old fabric, I would try to do the same -- but, if you can't, I wouldn't lose sleep over it! I suppose the question is whether you can live with that? There are no quilt police!
Old 09-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I am so sure it's going to be stunning when you're finished with it. I would soak the blocks a second time. That's just me because I prewash everything I bring into our home. When it's just a muddy look it's usually because of just dust and the neat little mites. But as I said I would soak a second time.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:46 AM

What a fun project! Since the old blocks seem to be in good condition, I personally would not hesitate to add reproduction fabrics. I would still feel I was honoring the antiquity of the blocks, and as you said, you will have to use some new fabric no matter what, so there's no way to keep it totally antique.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:43 AM

I would probably hunt for some vintage fabric on eBay. I have bought some before. But that's just me. Do what feels right to you.