Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: mixing flannel and cottens

I have read that you should use all flannel or all cotten. Would it be ok to use cotten for sunbonnet sues on flannel backing?

Blog Entries
    I would be sure to prewash the fabrics. The flannel will shrink a lot more than the cotton.

I agree. As long as the flannel is washed it should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sadiemae
    I would be sure to prewash the fabrics. The flannel will shrink a lot more than the cotton.
    Oh, yessssss - flannel shrinks more than qulting cotton. I had to redo a quilt because I didn't prewash the flannel. Good thing it was a 24x24 wall hanging!

I made a silk robe with flannel lining for hubby, it turned out great!! Pre-wash everything to shrink!! I found that keeping the flannel down and the silk up worked very well and not so good the other way. Lot's of cleaning bobbin area too!!

Blog Entries
    years ago they used what they had and you know some of theose quilts are still around. most of these quilt were made to use

I use flannel for backing cotton tops a lot. Never had a problem and just love the way it turns out. Flannel is sooooo cozy.

Quote Originally Posted by deema
    I use flannel for backing cotton tops a lot. Never had a problem and just love the way it turns out. Flannel is sooooo cozy.
    I guess I should correct myself. I actually ment to use the flannel as the main background as well as the backing. But I am thinking from what I am hearing that it would still be ok. As long as I wash everything to shrink it first. Thank you all for your comments. I love learning everything I can on this site. It is full of wonderful, generous folks.

Ahh, I get it...appliqueing your Sue's on the flannel? I think it would be great! You may have a bit more trouble getting them to lay flat though, since the flannel definitely has more give. I think if you starch it well, it should be ok.