Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Moda Bella Solids Wide Quilt Backing....Same quality as regular with Moda Bella? >

Moda Bella Solids Wide Quilt Backing....Same quality as regular with Moda Bella?

Moda Bella Solids Wide Quilt Backing....Same quality as regular with Moda Bella?

Old 09-12-2013, 09:29 AM

Default Moda Bella Solids Wide Quilt Backing....Same quality as regular with Moda Bella?

Okay, next question! I was online looking at Moda Bella Solids wide quilt backings and noticed that the site said to remember that the wide backing fabrics tend to shrink more than regular width fabrics. Have any of you used the Moda Bella wide backings? Did you like them? Are they as good a quality as the regular width Moda Bella? If the quality is the same, isn't it a better deal to buy the wide fabric? Thanks!

Oh, and has anyone found a better price on Moda Bella Solids than Whittles?

Last edited by wishfulthinking; 09-12-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2013, 09:53 AM

I have been using Moda wide muslin backing for piecing. It has a very nice feel to it. It's $13.99 a yard, but that equivalent to almost 2 1/2 yards of fabric. I grabbed some recently when my LQS has a summer sale at 30% off. I had the cuts done at 1 1/4 yards so I have a pieces 45" by 3 yards.. Most patterns done care if I am cutting what is actually the LOF.

I like the fabric.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:22 AM

Thanks, Irishrose!
Old 09-12-2013, 10:40 AM

I cannot help you regarding the Moda Bella Solids, but I want to thank you for mentioning Whittles. I was not familiar with that site, and you are right - they do have good prices, and with only $5.00 shipping, well, that's my kinda site!

Originally Posted by wishfulthinking View Post
Okay, next question! I was online looking at Moda Bella Solids wide quilt backings and noticed that the site said to remember that the wide backing fabrics tend to shrink more than regular width fabrics. Have any of you used the Moda Bella wide backings? Did you like them? Are they as good a quality as the regular width Moda Bella? If the quality is the same, isn't it a better deal to buy the wide fabric? Thanks!

Oh, and has anyone found a better price on Moda Bella Solids than Whittles?
Old 09-12-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
I cannot help you regarding the Moda Bella Solids, but I want to thank you for mentioning Whittles. I was not familiar with that site, and you are right - they do have good prices, and with only $5.00 shipping, well, that's my kinda site!
You're welcome. Always happy to enable!
Old 09-12-2013, 04:05 PM

I can't answer your question regarding Moda Bella in particular, but I've found that many of the wide backing fabrics do have a lower thread count than regular widths from the same maker.