Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Modern Quilt Movement >

Modern Quilt Movement

Modern Quilt Movement

Old 08-17-2011, 09:52 AM

"Modern" quilts are simply quilters having visions that others may or may not share (think of the impressionist painters!). I also admire "straight" quilts greatly, but if I have to make a huge # of the same square... well, I can't. I have 2 UFOs from the same class (one of 3 classes I've taken) and I quickly finished 1/4 of each... and had 90 more to do!!!! Friends tell me they find it very relaxing, but they must be type B personalities and I'm definitely type A.

I think about the person for whom a quilt is being designed and go from there. Sometimes I look at someone else's quilt and morph off from that to make my quilt (they'd never recognize it came from theirs) so I'm not particularly creative. Some of my quilts are blocks and some are landscapes, some are really just pictures, and some are something else. I know not everyone will like them, but I think the particular recipient has always.

Urrr, almost. A cousin won a quilt in a raffle to help a grandchild go on an international trip. After 2 years I have told him to give it back and we'll work out a design he and his wife will like. It was a pictorial of Yosemite and did have an unattractive area in it (which is being fixed) but they are conservative and want a pretty design. That's OK.

Isn't it great what a variety we are!!!! This way we may skip some quilting threads and actually find time to quilt!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:59 AM

I don't personally like them. I don't mind a little imperfection here and there but when the whole quilt looks so wonky it just gets on my nerves.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:18 AM

They are what got me back into quilting after a 15 year absence. I don't like them too wonky but love the stacked coins, bricks and boxed squares in the right colors. I still like the traditional, too, but had gotten into kind of a rut.
I will say that the heavily quilted by machine fmq makes some quilts too stiff for my taste. They are beautiful but i like the quilts soft and comfy. Just mho.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:05 AM

I, like some of the others, like both traditional and modern. I try to tailor each quilt to the projected owner and it's use. One daughter wants a bargello, another likes the traditional, grandkids like specific colors and DH likes whatever I make. So I make a broad spectrum of quilt types and love them all (except pinwheels - hate trying to match all those points).
Old 08-17-2011, 12:33 PM

I think it's fine, as there is a place in the quilt world for everyone. I don't do that style, but really like all that I see.

:)
Old 08-17-2011, 12:38 PM

I appreciate all styles of quilting even if it may not be a style I want to embrace. It certainly makes the hobby interesting! There truly is something for everyone.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:23 PM

Theres room for both.
I dont care for the bold bright prints on fabrics that is so popular. I guiss the simple big blocks lean toward those kind of prints.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:45 PM

I like that people are showing more interest in quilting again; but am personally a huge fan of traditional blocks. I do admire the artistic quilts at the shows; but have no desire to make one. To me, some are even over quilted to the point that they are stiff.
I commend the quilters who still do it by hand..they deserve a huge round of applause for their devotion to the craft.
Please understand that I do not wish to offend anyone, this is just my personal opinion.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Power Poster

:thumbup: I wish I was as talented as the movers and shakers who set the creative bar very high and give us new techniques and ideas to expiriment with on our own!
peace

Just remember the creative bar is completley different from the perfectionist bar. I am more of a creative person and less of a perfectionist and I like it that way 'cause there's less stress being creative. :D
Old 08-17-2011, 04:58 PM

Love your avatar RkayD