Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern Quilt Movement

I appreciate all styles of quilting even if it may not be a style I want to embrace. It certainly makes the hobby interesting! There truly is something for everyone.

Theres room for both.
    I dont care for the bold bright prints on fabrics that is so popular. I guiss the simple big blocks lean toward those kind of prints.

I like that people are showing more interest in quilting again; but am personally a huge fan of traditional blocks. I do admire the artistic quilts at the shows; but have no desire to make one. To me, some are even over quilted to the point that they are stiff.
    I commend the quilters who still do it by hand..they deserve a huge round of applause for their devotion to the craft.
    Please understand that I do not wish to offend anyone, this is just my personal opinion.

Blog Entries
    :thumbup: I wish I was as talented as the movers and shakers who set the creative bar very high and give us new techniques and ideas to expiriment with on our own!
    peace

Just remember the creative bar is completley different from the perfectionist bar. I am more of a creative person and less of a perfectionist and I like it that way 'cause there's less stress being creative. :D

Love your avatar RkayD

I find all quilts interesting. The modern seem to rather easy to put together and get out the door quick. If I had to choose I would choose traditional even though I've made a few modern.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    quilting is like painting - some like Picasso and some like Thomas Kinkade. Some like both. It is a medium.
    Very well put :thumbup:

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    I really like traditional quilts and as someone stated before there is room for every taste.

like all trends, I think it will morph into something else with all of the modifications that quilters continue to do.We need to keep our minds open or we will still be in the "machine quilting is cheating"phase.

I embrace it with open arms - I love to think outside the box. :thumbup:

Blog Entries
    Shows that quilting is for everyone-I really enjoy the modern quilts-and would like to make a quilt of one of my son's paintings.

Blog Entries
    I love art quilts. I love traditional quilts.
    I love it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT. So many more ideas to try! the fabrics, the patterns, I love the minimalist patterns that use rich colors are a favorite! The colors just 'pop' I want to make them all!

What exactly do you mean by "modern"?

If it keeps the quilt stores and quilting business alive.....whatever, just keep those reproduction style fabrics coming.

I love contemporary art quilts and the creativity that goes behind them.

I like both. Recently, I have started incorporating both into my quilts. It's fun to piece a quilt and then embellish...I make traditional quilts for most of my gifts but when I want to let loose...I play and see what happens...adding a little paint, a little bit of jewelry, a few pieces of yarn....is just plain fun for me. I have a hand piecing project for when I am traveling....I have several traditional quilts on the design wall that are slowly getting finished and I have two art quilts in progress as well. For me it's the best of both worlds.

Blog Entries
    Love modern quilt designs and am personally going in that direction. Like the balance between structure and openended-ness.

Blog Entries
    Mixed feelings!

Blog Entries
    I'm always disappointed when I go to an advertised Quilt show and find they are all Modern. Not that they aren't pretty, but it just doesn't sit right.
    MK

I enjoy looking at "modern" quilts, and respect the artistry, creativity, and work that goes into them. For that reason alone, I maintain my subscription to Quilter's Newsletter Magazine. But for me, I am a traditionalist at heart, and all the quilts I make are from traditional patterns.

So I guess I sit on the fence and admire and enjoy the grass on both sides.....

Banned
    I don't make them but often am WOWed by the ones I see.

I tend to make traditional quilts with off-beat fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    What do you think about this trend in quilt making?
    I am not much into the modern stuff; but the nice thing about quilting is that you can do what you want, how you want. I don't ever plan to "show" my quilts and I am only trying to please myself and the ones that are receiving my quilts. There are such a multitude of patterns and fabrics out there that don't limit us to this Modern stuff. I just say "Each to his own".

in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)
    I always told my friend Karen I would never quilt. I admired the work that went into traditional quilts, appreciated the time and effort, but they just didn't "move" me. Then she took me into a quilt shop! Who knew there was so much gorgeous fabric out there?!? But I was only going to make pillowcases. Then I went home and started googling, and stumbled on some modern quilts. Well, it was all over! That was almost exactly one year ago: I now own a vintage Bernina, two shelves of fabric, tools everywhere, and all I think about is quilts!!

So, if it weren't for modern quilts, I would have more money, more space, and fewer friends! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Any quilting is good, but I'm sticking with traditional. Just a personal preference and I have seen some great "modern" looks.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast