Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More on DH and the LA >

More on DH and the LA

More on DH and the LA

Old 04-26-2015, 06:36 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
Honestly, for that much money I would be looking at an Innova with lightning stitch. If I had to choose between the two you mention, I would go with the HQ simply because they have been around a long time and have a good reputation in longarm machines. I don't think Janome has been in the longarm business very long.
This is exactly what I was thinking. I do think if you want to add the robotics it is way more "affordable" with the HQ Inifinity then the Innova. I ended up choosing the Innova as I wanted to do hand guided quilting most of the time and felt the Innova was light and had the best control. If I had chosen for the robotics then I would have gone with a HQ. Like another poster mentioned adding the robotics does make the machine heavier and I found it unpleasant to hand quide quilt on it with the robotics stuck to the machine. also I compared Avante to fusion and when the size of the machine goes up it gets harder to hand guide the quilting and accuracy decreases slightly. Another poster mentioned buying the Innova without the lightening stitch. I would not do that if you bought new. Most people switch to Innova because of the lightening stitch and I think it would be harder to resell without lightening stitch. It might be a good option to buy an older Innova with robotics without lightening sticht if you get a good deal and plan to use robotics.

Last edited by Annaquilts; 04-26-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 07:14 AM

I have a VERY old HQ--almost one of the first---and she still runs great. Tech support is top notch. My dream machine is the HQ Avante with a stitch regulator. I bought mine on Craigslist.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:11 AM

I have a Tin Lizzie and works great for me and was affordable.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:36 AM

I am only in the wishing stage but if I could I would choose an Innova just because of the exceptional service and the fact that everyone I have ever heard of that has one loves it. Never one bad word ever about an Innova. If not that I would pick the HQ of the two you mentioned.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:39 AM

Check out how much training you get on it. For HQ, going to Utah for training for 3 days is $775 plus airfare and motels. I'm going to another dealer who will charge me $50 an hour for 4 hours to learn things my dealer should have taught.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:36 AM
Power Poster

Another thing you want to look into is your machine's down time. HQ recommends all of their machines be returned to the dealer on an annual basis for routine servicing which includes lubricating internal sealed parts. This is specifically mentioned in their warranty. I don't know how many HQ owners actually do this or just take their chances.

http://www.handiquilter.com/forums/i...maintenance/p1

I do know this is not required of my Innova and the machines are so straight forward it is very easy to learn how to do a lot of the maintenance yourself. I have timed my machine and changed the belt drive. It is very easy to get at the needle bar for oiling and adjustment. Now they are shaft driven so a new Innova owner doesn't need to worry about belts.
Old 04-27-2015, 10:17 AM

I also have the Avante with no ProStitcher and I like it.....a lot! For what I do and the few people I quilt for it is perfect. My sister drives 80 miles to visit and she uses it, too.......I think she just comes to use the machine.

(QUOTE=amandasgramma;7177357]Stick with HQ. I have an Avante. Friends have other machines, including the Tin Lizzy. If the Janome is a Tin Lizzy....well, I'd say they changed the name to "hide" the fact. Tin Lizzy's are NOT good machines, IMHO. I love the Avante.....so much easier to use. I don't have the Robot.....I found it made the machine heavier and I didn't have the $$. HQ has EXCELLENT customer service........and to me, that's the most important thing one needs when buying these machines.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-30-2015, 06:16 AM

I have an HQ16 and was having trouble with the tension. I called customer service. Someone not only immediately answered my question and gave me an answer - it was the right answer.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:36 AM

I am thinking of purchasing the HQ Avante - I met a dealer at a quilt show that I liked a lot but she is a 1-1/2 hour drive from my home. There is a dealer closer to home and he seemed pretty forthcoming - I am just not sure about asking for questions when I need help. I did like the fact that the closer dealer would be easier to stop in .... just not sure.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:51 PM

We ended up going for the Innova. It should be here in a couple of months.