Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
More long arm buying questions... >

More long arm buying questions...

More long arm buying questions...

Old 06-04-2016, 03:35 AM

Default More long arm buying questions...

Is there something "between" using my DSM and buying a full $13,000.00 long arm system?

I'd still like to be able to move the machine, as opposed to moving the fabric, but I'm not sure what's out there.

I'm going to a big quilt show in a couple of weeks so hope to get some answers there, but thought I'd throw the question out to you ladies and gentlemen who are so knowledgeable about such things.

Watson
Old 06-04-2016, 04:03 AM

check out Bailey homequilters they go from 13inch to 20 I believe, that's where I started, good luck
Old 06-04-2016, 04:49 AM
Power Poster

Bailey, Grace Q'nique, Block Rocket
Old 06-04-2016, 06:10 AM

HQ has the new Simply Sixteen - a midarm 16" throat quilting machine with a 5 foot frame. You quilt until you run out of room and reposition the quilt to continue.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:59 AM

Also take a look at the Homesteader. I have not found many reviews of it online, but they are positive.

http://www.thequiltingsolution.com/homesteader.html
Old 06-04-2016, 09:01 AM
Power Poster

If I was to get a LA machine (which I am not), I would certainly get one with a frame to be able to do the pantographs. My friend bought a sit down and you are still moving the quilt.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:53 AM

Watson, I just bought a second hand HQ 16 on a frame. I had been looking on and off for several years and more seriously over the last year.

I paid $5500 for a 5 year old machine that has been babied. The table extends to 11 feet and I will set it up full length as I have the room for it.

I will post a review on Patternreview.com once I have get her set up and started to practise.

If you go to the Handi Quilter website, there is a place for machines for salehttp://www.handiquilter.com/forums/c...hines-for-sale Who knows one may show up near you.

I was very lucky to get the machine I bought and it was fast. I saw the ad on Wednesday, June 1, saw the machine on Thursday June 2 and picked her up on Friday June 3. The seller had lots of calls, but I was the first to come with to see it (two more people were scheduled to come later in the day). The couple are downsizing and at first had thought they could make room in their new home for the long arm, but realized 11 days before moving day that it will not work out.

I am confident in the price I paid and the machine I bought. Having said that the first thing I did was take her to my local HQ dealer for a spa treatment. I have done this with every used machine, car etc that I have bought.

The dealer told me they had just sold a second hand one a month before and it sold very quickly too.

Do you have any LA dealers near you? If yes, ask them about trade in machines. You may get lucky and get first dibs on a new to you machine.

I did look at the block rocket at a big show, but it was still pricy (more than what I paid and US$) and almost felt like a toy. The sales people were wonderful and caring.

When you are at the show, ask the dealers there, about trade in machines.

I tend to be quite forward, I would also do up a little card with what I was looking for and ask at each of the quilting booths, if they knew of anyone downsizing and ask them to pass along the card.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:41 PM

I also second the Bailey, when I have a room big enough, that's what I'll be getting.
Old 06-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Power Poster

I have a Voyager 17 with Hinterberg stretch frame, purchased used from a quilt guild member for $3,000. I added a stitch regulator. Someone else on the QB purchased this same setup with stitch regulator for only $2,200! You can also purchase this setup online from Hinterberg and sewingmachinesplus.com . On the Hinterberg site they offer a refurbished Voyager for $2400 and a new stretch frame for $700. It looks like Hinterberg no longer sells the stitch regulator, but sometimes you can find it used online from someone who is doing the Dekker upgrade (which is how I got mine). The Voyager is a stretched Singer machine.

The Voyager 17/Hinty setup is a very good one for an entry level frame quilter. It is enough to get you started, but not so much that you are intimidated. Many people modify their Voyager setups (I want to add a dead bar) and use them forever. It definitely fits the bill of a "between" setup. Your local Craigslist and quilt guild are two good sources to check frequently. There are also a couple of online sites where people listed used systems for sale. I will link them here. You just need to look for something in your area that is within your price range. Also check eBay; sometimes there are listings for local pickup.

http://www.longarmuniversity.com/MachinesForSale.html
http://forum.apqs.com/index.php?/for...ting-machines/

Edit: When you go to the show, be sure to talk to all of the dealers there and ask about used systems. They sometimes take trade-ins from people who want to upgrade. This is another way to get an entry level machine.
Old 06-04-2016, 03:03 PM

Many quilter start with a used LA or mid arm machine and as they get better or want to go into business then they upgrade and sell their machine. Anyway that is what happen to me... I bought and ancient a Kenquilt for $1,000 , had a beautiful stitch and quilted many quilts on it but could only quilt 7 inches and I wanted a bigger throat.

Sold "Kenny" on Craigslist for $900. Bought a HQ16 "Harriet" with a 10ft setup for $5,000. and have enjoyed working with her. I quilt for myself, friends and customers.