Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Must buy a new machine ASAP

My $100 Kenmore seems to be dead. It doesn't seem to be worth repairing it. So on Thursday, I will go shopping. I do not want and cannot afford anything too complicated. Any ideas?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Dotty, have you thought of an old Singer?? They are amazing !!

Do you have a budget in mind?

Under $500. Hmmm, my friend has 2 old Singers she does not want... but I have to go cold turkey until I solve the problem!!

Blog Entries
    I use nothing but Singer. The older the better. I can clean and repair the old ones myself. Bought a $1600.00 famous name machine once, used it for 2 months, sold it for half that and went and bought a $300.00 Singer. And I crank out a lot of quilts with my little cheapie.Don't be drawn in by all the extra googahs and such. It is just more stuff that can break or go south on you. Good luck.

If I were spending less than $500 I'd be tempted to go with a used machine and get more spending boom for my dollar. Check with your local dealership to see what they've got for sale as some will give you at least a 30 day warrantee.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    Under $500. Hmmm, my friend has 2 old Singers she does not want... but I have to go cold turkey until I solve the problem!!
    Maybe she would be interested in selling to you asap especially if they are just sitting around. :-P

Blog Entries
    If you want a new one with various stitches go with a Brother Quilters machine. I got mine at WalMart on sale for $195.00, and it's great.

However, I LOVE my vintage machines as well, but they don't do various stitches...only straight stitches.

Blog Entries
    I'd buy a new top of the line or midrange Kenmore. For the price you can't beat the quality. I have two vintage Singers that sew like a dream so I'm partial to older machines.

I look the old Singers too.....I would buy a new small one at Walmart, the little one, you can take anywhere, theyre under 100.00, then look at your friends Singers!

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast