Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My first free motion quilt.

Blog Entries
    I posted a while back that I was making a quilt for my first great niece
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-73306-1.htm. Well, I tried to free motion quilt it, and had no trouble with coordination, or machine, but I chose Fleece for the backing. (Baby will live on North Pacific Coast.) I spent most of a day trying to get it hand basted, enough for me to quilt in the ditch, then trying to work on FMQ again, pin basted some more, etc. Then, the end result had all kinds of puckers all over the back. "Aw, nuts!' (This gift is for a treasured niece.) I carefully released the stitches surrounding the tucks until smooth, then got out ALL of my stash, looking for a "fix" of some kind. My eyes lit on a fabric I bought a few years ago, to make me a bathrobe. It was the right colors, and pre-quilted Tricot, so it would hide the problem. I tied it as the new backing, then put the binding on. Problem fixed, gift on time, and baby got the warm snuggly (top, cotton batting, fleece, polyester batting, and Tricot.) quilt I always wanted. Another 'near miss' averted. I wish you all, a year filled with 'near misses', instead of 'Oh nuts!" Bless you all.

Blog Entries
    Great save. Live is full of things that don't go as plan. There is always room for plan B, C, D, or EFG...Happy all is well.:)

Blog Entries
    I've always said there is a plan B - and for times when it is necessary, Plan C always involves chocolate! Happy the quilt turned out well for you - the little one will be blessed by it :)

So happy you figured it out! Great way to think outside the box instead of just giving up!

way to go girl

Blog Entries
    What a great solution!! :D:D:D

Love this! You got a lemon and you made lemonade. But I wonder why it didn't work as intended. I'm just taking my very first stabs at FMQ, and it would be good to know if there's a way around this. I know others are using various kinds of fleece. I haven't tried it yet, but there's a project on the back burner. It's supposed to be a neck scarf with just two layers, calico patchwork FMQ'd to a soft fleece. Your experience makes me aware that I need to do some practice before I start. Pulling stitches from fleece would be an awful ordeal.