Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My lazy basting

My lazy basting

I have a star wallhanging about 2 1/2 ft sq. I want to get quilted today. Was getting ready to layer and baste when I saw my elmers glue that I use for binding via Sharon S. method. I thought, why not? I laid my batting down, ran thin lines of the glue on the back of the wall hanging where I would have basted or pinned, flipped it over and smoothed it over the batting, then ironed lightly being careful not to hit the edge of the batting. Turned it over and did the same to the backing. It's holding great, no pins to take out, and my machine does not seem to have any problems with sewing over it (used real thin lines). Would not do a large quilt, those go on my frame anyway, but for smaller things I do on a domestic machine I may just use this method all the time. Took sooo much less time and it is nice and smooth.
    Jeanann

PROQUILTINATING : Working on quilting when you should be cleaning, doing laundry, or cooking.

Sounds interesting.

I have wondered the same thing. Glad you did it with great results. Will keep this in mind.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Hmmmmmm. Looking forward to hearing the finished result; can it be washed to remove glue residue?
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

Couldn't you just have easily used spray baste? Just curious as to why or why not. I don't like the spray baste, and a good friend of mine (who owns a quilt shop) warned me not to spray it in the house, as it can get into the air conditioning vents and cause problems. Gina

Blog Entries
    I thinned out Elmer's school glue with water and sprayed it like the spray adhesive. Not strong smell or fumes to deal with. A hot iron and it held the quilt together fine and cost many $ less then the spray.
    Got fabric?

Quote Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
    I thinned out Elmer's school glue with water and sprayed it like the spray adhesive. Not strong smell or fumes to deal with. A hot iron and it held the quilt together fine and cost many $ less then the spray.
    I will have to try this one. Thanks, Gina

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Hmmmmmm. Looking forward to hearing the finished result; can it be washed to remove glue residue?
    I would also like to hear how it washes out.
    Robin
    robinsquiltingroom.blogspot.com
    Southern California

Blog Entries
    great idea if using washable glue it washes out 123

BellaBoo.......This has been in the back of my mind for a while, but I haven't gotten around to trying it. Now that I know it worked well for you I definitely will give it a whirl soon. Did it do as well as the regular spray would?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast