Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My lazy basting

Blog Entries
    Spraying the watered down Elmers Glue also sounds like a great idea I'll have to try. But does the quilt sandwich have to be ironed? I don't understand why it needs to be ironed.

Great tip. May have to try this in the future. Thanks for the heads-up.

Blog Entries
    I've used Elmers for years. Someone asked me to discribe the process I use in this thread. http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t180790-2.html Post #51

The glue washes out just fine with no staining or issues. Just be sure not to glob on the glue or you will break your needle.

Great ideas for smaller projects...maybe worth a try on a UFO that you're not so fond of.

Power Poster
    Thanks for the tip will have to try it. Pinning or basting can take a long time and this will save some.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Hmmmmmm. Looking forward to hearing the finished result; can it be washed to remove glue residue?
    Jan to answer your question, I haven't used this method on a wall hanging or quilt, but have used the Elemer's glue -Sharon Schambers method on several bindings, including two king size quilts, and love this method. The Elmer's glue is a water base glud- as it is the Elmer's School glue and does wash out. Not trying to take the answer away from ontheriver - sorry for butting in on your answer. For those who have not used Sharon Schambers method, go to her site on YouTube and view it. The section about the Angel project, she give great video and oral details. She has won best of show in the Houston Quilt show on some of her quilts.
    Someone else ask about the iron - don't use steam, but a dry hot iron where you glue and it sets the glue. You can even pull it apart if it isn't like you want it and redo it. It will wash out.
    I know for a fact that Elmer's school glue washes out- both of my own children and bunches of my first graders when I taught (21 yrs as a 1st grade teacher) were always getting glue on their clothes. I always recommended Elmer's to parents, it was on my supply list each year.
    Last edited by Gerbie; 07-03-2012 at 07:17 PM.

With school starting shortly the stores are already having Back to School sales. Time to stock up on Elmer's glue.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackie R View Post
    Spraying the watered down Elmers Glue also sounds like a great idea I'll have to try. But does the quilt sandwich have to be ironed? I don't understand why it needs to be ironed.
    Pressing it dries and sets the glue. You just "press" rather than iron.
    Neesie

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    ~Richard Dawkins

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neesie View Post
    Pressing it dries and sets the glue. You just "press" rather than iron.
    OK, now I understand the reason for "pressing" with the iron. Thanks for responding to my question Neesie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2