Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Old Kentucky Home

My Old Kentucky Home

Just don't know how I get myself into these things, but - I'm in a small group challenge where all finished blocks are locations in musical pieces. No prizes or ribbons, just a matter of pride. I reached in the bag and pulled out "My Old Kentucky Home". So not too bad, lots of ideas...until now it's time to "create".
    H E L P I've found some horse pictures from coloring book pages - one even has the ring of roses on its neck. But there has to be more to My Old Kentucky Home than the Derby. I'd be ever grateful for some ideas.

Blue grass pastures, white rail fences, mint julep, large white hats, wraparound porches...

Not very helpful I'm afraid!

Alison

Kentucky things. . . Abraham Lincoln, basketball, Quiltcity USA (Paducah), state bird Cardinal, state flower Goldenrod, Stephen Foster, coal mines, Ohio River, tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by grammyjo View Post
    Just don't know how I get myself into these things, but - I'm in a small group challenge where all finished blocks are locations in musical pieces. No prizes or ribbons, just a matter of pride. I reached in the bag and pulled out "My Old Kentucky Home". So not too bad, lots of ideas...until now it's time to "create".
    H E L P I've found some horse pictures from coloring book pages - one even has the ring of roses on its neck. But there has to be more to My Old Kentucky Home than the Derby. I'd be ever grateful for some ideas.

tobacco and burgoo!

I like the idea of BLUEGRASS fields.

When my older DD was younger she made a picture for me while we were living in Kentucky. One was a green grassy field beside flowing blue water. the other was BLUEgrass and the GREEN River. Somehow I managed to lose it in moving and packing so many times. But it was so cute.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by grammyjo View Post
    On a more serious note--------------look up the building bearing the name "my old Kentucky home" and you may be able to replicate that building enough to look good. I'm not good at links or I'd try.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I would google the words to the song to get some inspiration.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

www.kentuckytourism.com My Old Kentucky Home and Stephen Foster Story - Bardstown, KY

Power Poster
    ​How about appliqueing the shape of the state? How about the state flower, bird, flag etc?

I did an image search on google for kentucky skies and there are some interesting shots there, one is a shield of some sort for the Commonwealth of Kentucky maybe you could incorporate some things from history?

Don't forget they make some of the best whiskey in the world! And they have a lot of rich history.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 ... LastLast