Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My Old Kentucky Home

My Old Kentucky Home

Just don't know how I get myself into these things, but - I'm in a small group challenge where all finished blocks are locations in musical pieces. No prizes or ribbons, just a matter of pride. I reached in the bag and pulled out "My Old Kentucky Home". So not too bad, lots of ideas...until now it's time to "create".
    H E L P I've found some horse pictures from coloring book pages - one even has the ring of roses on its neck. But there has to be more to My Old Kentucky Home than the Derby. I'd be ever grateful for some ideas.

Blue grass pastures, white rail fences, mint julep, large white hats, wraparound porches...

Not very helpful I'm afraid!

Alison

Kentucky things. . . Abraham Lincoln, basketball, Quiltcity USA (Paducah), state bird Cardinal, state flower Goldenrod, Stephen Foster, coal mines, Ohio River, tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by grammyjo View Post
    Just don't know how I get myself into these things, but - I'm in a small group challenge where all finished blocks are locations in musical pieces. No prizes or ribbons, just a matter of pride. I reached in the bag and pulled out "My Old Kentucky Home". So not too bad, lots of ideas...until now it's time to "create".
    H E L P I've found some horse pictures from coloring book pages - one even has the ring of roses on its neck. But there has to be more to My Old Kentucky Home than the Derby. I'd be ever grateful for some ideas.

tobacco and burgoo!

I like the idea of BLUEGRASS fields.

When my older DD was younger she made a picture for me while we were living in Kentucky. One was a green grassy field beside flowing blue water. the other was BLUEgrass and the GREEN River. Somehow I managed to lose it in moving and packing so many times. But it was so cute.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Quote Originally Posted by grammyjo View Post
    On a more serious note--------------look up the building bearing the name "my old Kentucky home" and you may be able to replicate that building enough to look good. I'm not good at links or I'd try.
    U N T I E

I would google the words to the song to get some inspiration.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

www.kentuckytourism.com My Old Kentucky Home and Stephen Foster Story - Bardstown, KY

Power Poster
    ​How about appliqueing the shape of the state? How about the state flower, bird, flag etc?

I did an image search on google for kentucky skies and there are some interesting shots there, one is a shield of some sort for the Commonwealth of Kentucky maybe you could incorporate some things from history?

Don't forget they make some of the best whiskey in the world! And they have a lot of rich history.

Moon Shine lol
    thunder road
    Miners
    blue grass and music
    shack on a hill, blue flowers lining a country road
    Plus all of the serious things.
    Syl

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    Don't forget they make some of the best whiskey in the world! And they have a lot of rich history.

Speaking of good whiskey, I bought one I'd never had before last winter when I was in Bardstown. Barton's 1792. Wonderful. You can buy it almost anywhere, but I'd never tried it before.
    U N T I E

And don't forget, Paducah is in Kentucky!! How about some mini quilts strung across the state?

Power Poster
    chaand they have a great quilt show in kentucy padauCHA
    QUILTNMO

My husband asked me to make a landscape quilt of "my Old Ky Home" to be donated to a charity auction....I had never done a landscape quilt...but stepped up to the challenge, and when I got it finished he couldn't make himself take it, so he made a $$ donation instead! He took it to his office and it hung on his walll...(i was proud that HE couldnt let it go) If I can figure out how to upload a picture, I will.... But I haven't uploaded before.....

If anyone has any tips about uploading a picture from my iPad, I would appreciate it....

Quote Originally Posted by Chatty94 View Post
    My husband asked me to make a landscape quilt of "my Old Ky Home" to be donated to a charity auction....I had never done a landscape quilt...but stepped up to the challenge, and when I got it finished he couldn't make himself take it, so he made a $$ donation instead! He took it to his office and it hung on his walll...(i was proud that HE couldnt let it go) If I can figure out how to upload a picture, I will.... But I haven't uploaded before.....
    Bless your hubby. I do bet you are proud of him----------------and his office decor.
    U N T I E

Louisville Sluggers are made there too! A baseball bat sure is all American!

Ok, i think I got a link to the picture posted, but I still cant figure out how to get the picture itself to appear....grrr

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
    A whiskey keg? A bottle of Jack Daniels?? The possibilities are endless! I like this angle...
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Jim
    GRAMMYJO....I LIVE IN BARDSTOWN KY...its home to MY OLD KENTUCKY HOME...check out a link on it...or look up Bardstown Ky...its home of Stephan Foster..The state park and home is less than 3 miles from my home. Bardstown is also it the Bourbon capital of the world. It was just voted "the most beautiful small town in America". Check out some links on it..can't be too hard...wishing you luck and would LOVE to se your completed block...Jim
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort :lol:

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Does the block have to be appliqued?
    Barbara's book Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns has several pieced blocks that have the word "Kentucky" in their name.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

That's beautiful, no wonder he didn't want to part with it! Thanks for the link, sorry I don't have an ipad so have no idea how to post from them.

Thanks, I am pretty proud of it, and secretly hated to see it go...so I was really happy when he said he couldn't take it...glad you like it.

I think the original poster now has lots of ideas for a block about "my old Ky Home"..... I live about 2 hours east of Bardstown where the house is...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast