Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My Old Kentucky Home (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-old-kentucky-home-t199356.html)

grammyjo 09-02-2012 08:39 AM

My Old Kentucky Home

Just don't know how I get myself into these things, but - I'm in a small group challenge where all finished blocks are locations in musical pieces. No prizes or ribbons, just a matter of pride. I reached in the bag and pulled out "My Old Kentucky Home". So not too bad, lots of ideas...until now it's time to "create".
H E L P I've found some horse pictures from coloring book pages - one even has the ring of roses on its neck. But there has to be more to My Old Kentucky Home than the Derby. I'd be ever grateful for some ideas.

alisonquilts 09-02-2012 08:51 AM

Blue grass pastures, white rail fences, mint julep, large white hats, wraparound porches...

Not very helpful I'm afraid!

Alison

KwiltyKahy 09-02-2012 10:00 AM

Kentucky things. . . Abraham Lincoln, basketball, Quiltcity USA (Paducah), state bird Cardinal, state flower Goldenrod, Stephen Foster, coal mines, Ohio River, tobacco

GrannieAnnie 09-02-2012 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by grammyjo (Post 5485636)
Just don't know how I get myself into these things, but - I'm in a small group challenge where all finished blocks are locations in musical pieces. No prizes or ribbons, just a matter of pride. I reached in the bag and pulled out "My Old Kentucky Home". So not too bad, lots of ideas...until now it's time to "create".
H E L P I've found some horse pictures from coloring book pages - one even has the ring of roses on its neck. But there has to be more to My Old Kentucky Home than the Derby. I'd be ever grateful for some ideas.

tobacco and burgoo!

I like the idea of BLUEGRASS fields.

When my older DD was younger she made a picture for me while we were living in Kentucky. One was a green grassy field beside flowing blue water. the other was BLUEgrass and the GREEN River. Somehow I managed to lose it in moving and packing so many times. But it was so cute.

GrannieAnnie 09-02-2012 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by grammyjo (Post 5485636)

On a more serious note--------------look up the building bearing the name "my old Kentucky home" and you may be able to replicate that building enough to look good. I'm not good at links or I'd try.

RedGarnet222 09-02-2012 11:01 AM

I would google the words to the song to get some inspiration.

Diamondrose 09-02-2012 11:20 AM

www.kentuckytourism.com My Old Kentucky Home and Stephen Foster Story - Bardstown, KY

Tartan 09-02-2012 11:25 AM

​How about appliqueing the shape of the state? How about the state flower, bird, flag etc?

thimblebug6000 09-02-2012 11:28 AM

I did an image search on google for kentucky skies and there are some interesting shots there, one is a shield of some sort for the Commonwealth of Kentucky maybe you could incorporate some things from history?

TanyaL 09-02-2012 12:50 PM

Don't forget they make some of the best whiskey in the world! And they have a lot of rich history.