Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Parent's Singer Machines...and a Wizard >

My Parent's Singer Machines...and a Wizard

My Parent's Singer Machines...and a Wizard

Old 05-06-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
Here's a nice big threading diagram I found for the 99K http://www.sewusa.com/Threading_Diag...ng_diagram.htm

Have fun with that haul! Are you going to add a room addition to house them all?!
Thank you so much for the link! That is perfect. In this lil manual it's hard to tell. I did that but it keeps skipping stitches up top. I can't figure it out.

Since I haven't gotten that one going I'm using the #128 but the 99K sounds soooo quiet! The 128 sounds quiet too but not as quiet as the 99K. :)
Old 05-06-2011, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by AngieS
... it keeps skipping stitches up top. I can't figure it out.

Since I haven't gotten that one going I'm using the #128 but the 99K sounds soooo quiet! The 128 sounds quiet too but not as quiet as the 99K. :)
The needle could be dull, bent, the wrong kind or not installed correctly. The flat side of the needle faces right, and the needle is threaded from left to right. It also says to be sure the needle is pushed all the way up into the clamp, and mentions that if the thread is too thick for the needle that also can cause skipped stitches.

I have an older 99 from 1934, but the manual I have is for a 1957 model 99. It does not mention "K", so I don't know what all might be different. Just hope this helps.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:13 PM

Thank you Rosalind. I will check the needle-maybe that's it. Not sure. Do you know anything about any of the settings on these? Like where whatever adjusts?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:39 PM

Thank you Rosalind. I will check the needle-maybe that's it. Not sure. Do you know anything about any of the settings on these? Like where whatever adjusts?
I was just editing my previous comment when you responded - made a few additions as I found them in the manual. My 99 was one I got at a garage sale one time and it does not have a foot pedal so I don't actually know if it runs. I oiled it and was able to make stitches by turning the handwheel. I have just bought a FW and will probably check to see if I can try the foot pedal from it on the 99. There is some cracked wiring from the 99's motor that will have to be dealt with first.

Upshot: I have no experience with the 99 beyond what I can read in the manual, and for some lucky odd reason that manual was included with my Featherweight, so I've just had it a few days. I have the FW manual, too, and from what I can tell the previous owner may have just preferred the 1957 manual because of the better pictures. The machines are very similar.

One thing that caught my eye was on page 32 there is a dire warning that "under no circumstances must the screw EE be loosened". This is a screw on the bobbin latch, and it will change the clearance between the case and the bracket that holds it in position. Isn't it just typical that some engineer saw fit to put a prominent, easy to turn screw in there and the "NO-NO!" warning occurs that far toward the back of the manual?

Page 10 has a list of thread and needle sizes to use with certain fabrics. For percale type fabrics it says 50 - 70 wt cotton thread, size 14 needle, and stitch length 12. There is a way to adjust the lower tension, but that's rarely needed. The upper tension is something I've always had to do by trial and error on every machine I've tried. The only other adjustment I can think of would be the tension on the drive belt, and I don't know a thing about doing that. I imagine if it's too tight or too loose that can cause problems with the stitches, too. If it's a very old belt, you might have to replace it, and I've seen some on eBay. Someone advised against the red ones that have teeth. Can't remember where I read it. I'm sure there's better info on this site than I can give.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rose_P
I was just editing my previous comment when you responded - made a few additions as I found them in the manual. My 99 was one I got at a garage sale one time and it does not have a foot pedal so I don't actually know if it runs. I oiled it and was able to make stitches by turning the handwheel. I have just bought a FW and will probably check to see if I can try the foot pedal from it on the 99. There is some cracked wiring from the 99's motor that will have to be dealt with first.

Upshot: I have no experience with the 99 beyond what I can read in the manual, and for some lucky odd reason that manual was included with my Featherweight, so I've just had it a few days. I have the FW manual, too, and from what I can tell the previous owner may have just preferred the 1957 manual because of the better pictures. The machines are very similar.

One thing that caught my eye was on page 32 there is a dire warning that "under no circumstances must the screw EE be loosened". This is a screw on the bobbin latch, and it will change the clearance between the case and the bracket that holds it in position. Isn't it just typical that some engineer saw fit to put a prominent, easy to turn screw in there and the "NO-NO!" warning occurs that far toward the back of the manual?

Page 10 has a list of thread and needle sizes to use with certain fabrics. For percale type fabrics it says 50 - 70 wt cotton thread, size 14 needle, and stitch length 12. There is a way to adjust the lower tension, but that's rarely needed. The upper tension is something I've always had to do by trial and error on every machine I've tried. The only other adjustment I can think of would be the tension on the drive belt, and I don't know a thing about doing that. I imagine if it's too tight or too loose that can cause problems with the stitches, too. If it's a very old belt, you might have to replace it, and I've seen some on eBay. Someone advised against the red ones that have teeth. Can't remember where I read it. I'm sure there's better info on this site than I can give.
Thank you for posting this. You know I ALMOST tried to get that one screw to move! LOL Oh my! The needle was in backwards and that fixed the problem. Hard to believe! I will have to remember that when/if I go and look at any other Singers later on. If they mention anything about the stitching they may think the stitching is off and sell it cheap! LOL
Old 05-15-2011, 06:23 AM

You can ask or title it "threading singer machine model#--" on u tube. My husband found a video on how to repair these machines. So maybe threading is there too.

You hit the jack pot I have to say!!! Congrats! and good luck with these babies!!!!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:10 PM

wow lucky you