Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Personal Quilt Police Person >

My Personal Quilt Police Person

My Personal Quilt Police Person

Old 05-24-2016, 03:59 PM

I think I am more of a middle of the road quilter. I will undo something but only if it's going to drive me crazy. If I can live with the goof I do. I want to love my finished work so I try to do my very best but over the last year I have begun to refer to myself as "the reformed perfectionist." I just noticed a small wrinkle in the backing of a quilt sandwich. Since I spray baste there is no way I'm going to try to yank it apart at this point. I choose to believe it will disappear when washed
Old 05-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Power Poster

The only person you have to please is yourself. Nothing wrong with taking the time to fix things that bother you. I certainly would!
Old 05-24-2016, 05:31 PM

I will try to fix an error piecing 3x's, after that it's a done deal. I don't beat myself up after that. A done deal is a done deal.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:42 AM

Once I see something, I have to fix it; otherwise, when I look at that project, that is always glaring back at me. While I was more of a perfectionist at one time; now, I am more accepting of my finished project. It only matters that I know that I made every effort to do my best. I am seldom able to settle for good enough. But there are times when even that is my best.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:50 AM

I check every seam/intersection in a block/quilt after it's sewn. If it's not correct, I fix it right away.

Nancy
Old 05-25-2016, 03:46 AM

I try to do my best on all my projects. Glaring errors are fixed. I want seams and points to match as best I can, but I am not fanatic about it. I heard, or read, a long time ago that one way to distinguish a handmade item is that it will have at least one small error or small imperfection. I believe it is the Amish who always purposely put in an error because only God is perfect.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:58 AM

I try to put an almost finished quilt on my "design wall" in the living room where I can look at it whenever I walk in there. Sometimes something glares at me and says, "Fix me." Then I change it.

Once I took out the center nine blocks of an Around the World. It is not easy to get that back together, but I was much happier with the results, and that was a charity quilt.
Old 05-25-2016, 03:59 AM

I don't aim for perfection..that would be extremely egotistical and impossible, but I do fix a goof......large or small...and thinking back, of all that I have made....caught things before completions!

The most frequent goof is putting a piece of a block the wrong way...although I keep a sample block on a small design easel in front of the machine...to remind me...sometimes, after I sew it and "check", there it is..bold as brass! Frogstitch!
Old 05-25-2016, 04:05 AM

I do the best I can. I tend to be my own worst critic, especially while I am quilting. But the minute I take a quilting top off the frame, it looks good! We need to be kind to ourselves, smile.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:06 AM

I think I do the blocks really well but what drives me nuts is the color placement of my scrappy quilts. I have the design wall in my TV room and DH and I will move those blocks over and over, sometimes it takes days to get it right. But-----I love it when I'm done. Yes, I am my own quilt police too.