Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Sister Wants to Make a Hankerchief Quilt

My Sister Wants to Make a Hankerchief Quilt

When I visited my mom last week, my sister showed me a large handkerchief collection that she has and said she wants to make a quilt from them in the future. She has made only a couple of quilts in the past, so the pattern cannot be to advanced. Her birthday is coming up, and I would like to give her a book on the subject for inspiration and ideas. I am looking for recommendations.

Thanks!

Dayle

Blog Entries
    I think I would applique them onto some delicate looking fabric blocks and showcase them that way.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

There was a pattern out that made them into butterflys to be applqued to your quilt..

When I made a hankerchief quilt, I folded the kankerchieves into butterflies and hand sewed them unto the blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunr View Post
    When I made a hankerchief quilt, I folded the kankerchieves into butterflies and hand sewed them unto the blocks.
    Do you have a picture? That sounds lovely!

Banned
    google handkerchief quilts there have been several books published in the past.

The book for handkerchief quilts is called Hanky-Panky Crazy Quilts by Cindy Brick. How to make Crazy Quilts with Heirloom Handkerchiefs . It has some real nice colored photo's and good instructions. Hope this helps you.

I have several very old handkerchief quilts and enough old handkerchiefs to make 5 of them. The ones I have are all made into square blocks and tied. Love them. So much to do so little time.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    To make a butterfly from a handkerchief, fold the hanky in half on the diagonal, then take a tuck in each side of the triangle to make the "wings". It would be easier to explain with a picture. Experiment and see what you like.

You just applique that down on a square of fabric, and make the squares into a quilt!