Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: My Sister Wants to Make a Hankerchief Quilt

My Sister Wants to Make a Hankerchief Quilt

When I visited my mom last week, my sister showed me a large handkerchief collection that she has and said she wants to make a quilt from them in the future. She has made only a couple of quilts in the past, so the pattern cannot be to advanced. Her birthday is coming up, and I would like to give her a book on the subject for inspiration and ideas. I am looking for recommendations.

Thanks!

Dayle

Blog Entries
    I think I would applique them onto some delicate looking fabric blocks and showcase them that way.
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.

There was a pattern out that made them into butterflys to be applqued to your quilt..

When I made a hankerchief quilt, I folded the kankerchieves into butterflies and hand sewed them unto the blocks.
    Do all for His glory.

Quote Originally Posted by roadrunr View Post
    When I made a hankerchief quilt, I folded the kankerchieves into butterflies and hand sewed them unto the blocks.
    Do you have a picture? That sounds lovely!

Banned
    google handkerchief quilts there have been several books published in the past.

The book for handkerchief quilts is called Hanky-Panky Crazy Quilts by Cindy Brick. How to make Crazy Quilts with Heirloom Handkerchiefs . It has some real nice colored photo's and good instructions. Hope this helps you.

I have several very old handkerchief quilts and enough old handkerchiefs to make 5 of them. The ones I have are all made into square blocks and tied. Love them. So much to do so little time.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    To make a butterfly from a handkerchief, fold the hanky in half on the diagonal, then take a tuck in each side of the triangle to make the "wings". It would be easier to explain with a picture. Experiment and see what you like.

You just applique that down on a square of fabric, and make the squares into a quilt!