Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My view on lancaster aqs show 2015 >

My view on lancaster aqs show 2015

My view on lancaster aqs show 2015

Old 03-15-2015, 05:27 AM
ro
Banned

Default My view on lancaster aqs show 2015

we went to the continental 8:00 to pick up the shuttle bus. only to be told the next bus available was 12. seems people were allowed to sign up before time. which was not good. okay so we drove. there were half the vendors there than usual. although 3 floors. not really when you consider that on the 2nd floor there were 4 vendors and the third floor had 2 and they were in the back of the room so you didnt even know they were there. quilts for show were in between separating the 2 vendors from the front door. very very disappointing. i know we are not goin back next year and we always looked forward to this show.
Old 03-15-2015, 05:52 AM

I went 3 years ago & loved it, as it was packed with vendors. Spend a bundle. We parked in the one parking deck 2 blocks down the hill & walked. Not easy for me, as I have neuropathy/muscle loss in both legs & walking is a struggle at times. I considered going this year, as I haven't been able to go in the last 2 years due to personal health issues. A few weeks ago my 2 old dogs (15 & 17) took sick, so I stayed home to care for them. Now I'm glad we didn't make the 3.5 hour long drive there. I would have been very dissappointed at the lack of vendors, like you were, as it's hard for me to get around & the set up there isn't that great. They do have a elevator, but there's always a long waiting line. I remember the lighting on the 2nd & 3rd floors not being too good either. Sad as this was a good show at one time.
Old 03-15-2015, 06:51 AM
Power Poster

I"m about to try one here in two weeks. The last one I attended had quilts on view but they
were hung at ceiling height!! Hopefully that won't be the case this time.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:34 AM
Power Poster

I think vendors have to be very choosy what shows they go to. The booth fees are outrageously expensive for the big shows plus their time, paying for hotel room, travel, and many have shops that have to be managed during their absence. I can see where it isn't worth it to set up for every quilt show. I think the quilts are the main reason to go to a quilt show but without the vendor's fees the show won't make a profit, less vendors less people will come. It's a big circle.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:38 AM

so sorry to hear that it was so disappointing; it is usually a good show...
Old 03-15-2015, 08:46 AM

That is so sad! Sounds like that show is dying a slow death. Hope other shows live up to our expectations!
Old 03-15-2015, 09:34 AM

I intended to go this year and didn't. I've always loved the Lancaster show. I wonder if the other quilt show down the road hurt the AQS show. Maybe the vendors decided to set up there instead, since many who attend visit both shows while they're there.
Old 03-15-2015, 12:22 PM

I went almost annually for about 11 years, then skipped a few. It had been held at the Lancaster Host, with a smaller show and many vendors at the non-affiliated Continental across the street. My understanding was that the person holding the rights to the Lancaster Host wanted to sell, but wasn't doing well finding a buyer. The AQS opened a show downtown instead- don't know if they bought the rights or went into direct competition. I went the first year of the downtown AQS show and it was very difficult getting around. Central Lancaster has narrow streets and limited parking for huge crowds. Paid extra for the show's hotel shuttle bus loop pass but the bus schedule was a disaster, and parking the car was worse. One bus was even hit by a thrown brick on it's travel loop. The show was crowded and very disorganized, and the vendors were complaining hotly about the costs and confusion. I spent more time and money at the Continental Hotel show instead. Free parking, easy to get to, a bit cramped. It had always hosted the vendors that weren't invited to the Lancaster Host or weren't willing to pay the high vendor fees for Lancaster Host or AQS shows. The next year wasn't any better, so I stopped going. I'd heard some vendors found the high AQS fees and difficult parking location made the AQS show too much for them. I'd hate to see it fold because it brought a lot of tourists, but the downtown location is untenable.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:14 PM

I attended this year with a friend, an hour away for me. We did the show and lunch in 4 hours. Too many long arm booths, at least 2 or 3 jewelry booths, and 2 or 3 skin care booths. I went to see quilts, but I found only a few were better then I expected. I was disappointed - I wanted to see more quilts. Then we traveled to the Cont. Inn and was out of there in an hour, so we traveled to Intercourse and took in 3 fabric places, all crowded. Saw a bus load from Vermont. I wonder what they thought. But my money was spent at the Inn. I was looking for specific fabrics and I found them. I hope it improves by next year. I always love the one in Chantilly, Va. Will go there next year, and I plan to do Paducah next year. I must do it while I am young enough to travel.
Old 03-15-2015, 01:23 PM

There definitely were not nearly the number of vendors there as the past two years. I talked to one vendor and was told the fee had gone up quite a bit this year. It's a shame as the vendors help bring in the day trippers as well as those who take classes. They would have done better to keep the fee lower and attract more vendors.

I took three classes and they were great and I did buy threads that I pretty much can't get around home. It's nice to actually see the thread colors instead of getting them via the web. There were some fantastic quilts in the displays as well.

I haven't ever had trouble parking as I get there early for classes but I could see that it would be a problem for those coming later in the day and it costs a fair amount.

I never made it to the other show and I'm sorry I didn't, so I can't compare. I think I might try the Hersey show, at least as a day trip or one day overnighter.
I can do both Lancaster and Hersey as day trips although both are pushing it, just at the far limit for me.

Overall I was satisfied, as my classes were wonderful, but I was disappointed in the vendors.