Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice/Input please >

Need Advice/Input please

Need Advice/Input please

Old 07-27-2015, 02:46 AM

I just returned from a week at this retreat along the Mississippi River. It's in a town of about 250 people.
http://www.aplacetosew.com/

Nothing fancy,nice work space, lighting etc., 2 to 3 share a bedroom and bath. Like it's name - a place to sew.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:11 AM

Two quilting sisters did this to their parents home when they passed and it has been a huge success. Alot of work keeping cleaned, etc. but even local quilters go their for retreats as well as scrap bookers. I would encourage you to pursue this and then set up a website to attract quilters.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:46 AM

Red Rooster Retreat is where I usually go. it is on a lake, but not necessary. The food is wonderful!!! And the sewing area is where everyone can be together. Each person is provided with a 6 foot table, chair, light and extension plug in (two people share 4 plugs). Ironing boards and cutting boards also provided. All beds are twin.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:11 AM

Is it near an airport? Is it fairly close to a major freeway? Climate is another thing to consider since people have to drive or fly in. Snow and ice are not good. I have been to several retreats in the winter months and love getting away to sew and meet new people.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:49 AM

Here is another http://www.quiltersheaven.com/ Too churchy for me, but it obviously appeals to some.
Old 07-27-2015, 07:00 AM
Power Poster

Yes check your zoning laws first. You need to think about cost of upkeep and if you can use it as a weekend retreat/rental Are you prepared for damages and maintenance?
Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I am surely not an expert, but are there zoning laws to allow what you want? Or not an issue where you are? Good luck with it, if you decide it is an option.
Old 07-27-2015, 08:41 AM

Maybe a B&B would help with costs between quilt groups to help pay for maintenence?
Old 07-27-2015, 03:50 PM

What you might start with, is talking to and with LQS in your area. Do they offer special classes with known quilting teachers (ie:Alex Anderson, etc.....)?. The same might be said for meeting with caters in your area (ie:are overflow accommodations needed for special events in the area or extra room needed for catered events)?. These are just a few places you might start with. Good luck.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:08 PM

My group love sewing weekends "Stitch Camp" and this type of place would be great to us, some of the group do go to similar type places but they are too far for me. You would need one large room for everyone to have space for their machines & supplies and enough electrical outlets, and electrical system that wouldn't overload.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:25 PM

[QUOTE=Just Jan;7268106]IMHO And as others mentioned, restaurants, etc. If someone is not there directing the events there would be no more public appeal than taking your sewing machine to a local hotel. "

Actually our group has gone to local hotel, it is also fun because we don't want to be managed or project planned by someone else, we each bring our own projects, we just want to have a weekend away to sew & be with friends. But a homey house is better, and we bring enough food for an army so preparing our own meals or getting take-out no problem. 10 to 20 of us meet at least 10 times a year at various facilities, some places we have to go home at night and go back the next day, we also stay at a religious retreat house, stay in dorm rooms, have community bathrooms but bring our own food or go out. Some go to a retreat house similar to what she describes but it only can sleep 8 and a distance away. But where ever we go we have fun! The hotel is fun & comfortable but pricey.