Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Advice/Input please >

Need Advice/Input please

Need Advice/Input please

Old 07-26-2015, 08:31 AM

IMHO as a previous business owner, you need to be on the premises yourself or have a manager there. Its not as easy as it seems to find a good, honest manager. If you want a successful business you need to be willing to devote a lot of your own time and effort there. Another thing to consider beside your initial purchase price is maintenance and upkeep expenses as well as payroll. And as others mentioned, restaurants, etc. If someone is not there directing the events there would be no more public appeal than taking your sewing machine to a local hotel. You need to have event planning and activities as well as access to shopping and food. Believe me, to be successful you do not just buy a business, you marry it. It takes a lot of hands on, hard work and time to succeed. Also you should not plan to see any profit the first year. My advice is unless you plan to be completely involved, I would pass on it. But if you want to invest the time, money and work, it might be just what you want. Not trying to encourage or discourage you. Just what I have learned from past business experiences.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:00 AM
Power Poster

Also look into insurance requirements. You don't want something unfortunate to happen that could get you/the property sued. I would imagine you would need a good insurance plan to cover ( commercial usage) of the property. Nice landscaping, trees, outside areas are big draws, people like to get outside & wander the grounds when taking breaks. Regular maintenance and someone on site is important too. Would you be doing/providing these or hiring someone? Are there neighbors ? How c
Close? Start making lists- there are so many things to look into research.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:52 AM

I have been to church camps and had disappointing experience then found Ritter Ranch and no more church camp bunk beds! I think the couple that owns Ritter Ranch has really hit a gold mine here. Its husband and wife team and you bring machines and projects and they provide the rest....ironing station, rulers, project board on walls, etc. my only complaint is that the food was gourmet but not enough. If they would have added a big bowl of salad each night at dinner that would have been perfect. As you can see from their site....they are booked solid. Before you leave they ask when you want to book for the next year! They clean house after everyone leaves then have some downtime until next group comes. This is house they raised their family in. I think this is perfect retreat area. There is quilt store in town nearby and also Walmart and Joanne Fabrics. They do have small gift shop onsite.
Here is site for more info.
http://www.ritterranchretreat.com
Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 AM

Having rented out a home, in the past, I'd be a bit hesitant to use it as a rental. A retreat is an entirely different story, though. If you can do minor upkeep yourself, go for it!
Old 07-26-2015, 11:02 AM

It is a draw to be located fairly close to a quilt shop. It would be ideal to have one in your community, but if not, then on the route that your clientele would take to get to and from the retreat.
Old 07-26-2015, 11:21 AM

I'd want to check the electrical load on the house -- especially since you say it's old. Can it support multiple sewing machines (or would you only cater to hand quilters?)? Also, is the plumbing sufficient? I ask that having had a residential rental and realizing that some people flush feminine products and/or large amounts of toilet tissue and that can clog old plumbing -- or sometimes even new plumbing when you're on well & septic with low-flow toilets. A top-notch home inspector could probably help you figure those things out ... or direct you to someone who could.

Also, do you have plenty of space for parking for your guests if they don't carpool? And you may need to look into the laws in the area about accessibility. Often older buildings are exempt until they have to pull permits to update something (electrical, plumbing, windows).

I agree with the person who suggested checking with the local SBA. The Chamber of Commerce & State Tourism Board may also be useful resources. And definitely, definitely talk with your insurance agent. People do all sorts of crazy things in general & when you add in sharp needles, rotating blades and very often, elderly clientele, it is too high of a risk to carry on your own; regular homeowner's insurance typically will not cover damages resulting from running your business (on top of fire, flood or whatever else could happen).

And finally, you want to consider where you will live. Would you live in the retreat house? In a home nearby? If you're going to live on-site, how will you create a space for yourself/your family? Who can help you take care of guests if you are sick or injured? What resource people do you have in your network that could help with the legal, financial, marketing & managerial aspects of the business?
Old 07-26-2015, 03:25 PM

Here are two more to check out and ask questions of. First is run by Burkholders in Denver, PA and second is in Vergennes, Vermont.

Cocalicoquiltersinn.com
stronghouse.com
Old 07-26-2015, 03:32 PM

sorry. Second one should be stronghouseinn.com .
Old 07-26-2015, 03:50 PM

Many people have raised good points and asked good questions here. I would seriously ask myself if I wanted to start a business that could ostensibly take all your weekends plus a few weekdays every week for a year for starters. Without making a dime, because most small businesses lose money the first year. Do you have any business experience? What is your personality when it comes to risk? This is a litigious society, and getting sued for an accident during a rental or retreat is a possibility. How strong is your passion to succeed at this at a job, or is still a bit in the "hobby" category of your lifestyle? Because you will be working a lot more than "hobbying" in the quilting department, to the point you might not be quilting much at all the first year. This is not to discourage you; it sounds like you really have a hospitality gift by wanting to offer to out of town wedding guests and quilters. Just trying to ask some questions that we asked ourselves before recently buying our own residential property. You'll need to research contractors, hire them, wait for them to show up (or not show up), be specific with your contracts, be willing to talk straight to ones who aren't fulfilling their end of the deal. You'll also need bookkeeping skills or a good accountant and good organizational skills. If you have the dream and are willing to research it and work to make it come true, providing the research gives you the legal green light, then I say go for it. It could be very rewarding and you won't know until you try.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:36 PM

Too much to consider.
Zoning, will it be on city/county water & sewer lines or well & septic tank.
Will it have enough bed space and handicapped accessible bathrooms & showers.
Is there at least 1 very large room for retreat attendees and another for just plain relaxing or doing handwork.
Will kitchen be big enough for more than 1 cook, with a very good sized refrig, and maybe even a freezer.
Is dining are going to be big enough.
Who will do the daily maintenance, cooking, etc.
Are the outdoor views enticing, with maybe even a porch.
Will you make it 'scent free' as many have respiratory problems or get migraines for various scents.
Will there be walking trails and places to go that are nearby - exp a quilt store.
How safe is the neighborhood?

Most of the rest is already mentioned. I know in our are the group that attends is required to have insurance on their own or pay for it through the retreat center.