Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advice on new machine >

Need advice on new machine

Need advice on new machine

Old 09-03-2014, 01:54 PM

Always and always a Bernina--check out the 500 series as I believe this series may have the wide opening from the arm to the head--definitely worth the extra cost to get it. I have an 830 and love it for so many reasons.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:42 AM

Like a car -- the test drive will help you decide! You can eliminate the ones that "just don't feel right". One of the problems with many of us is we love our machines -- so much so that we keep them a long time! So making a change means all the changes in machines over these years are now available to us all at once.

Have friends who have newer machines? What do they like and not like about theirs? Can you come over and see? Try theirs? Make notes on what you liked about the features -- most brands have many of the same features, tho' they might work a little differently. There will be some you couldn't care less about, others you "have to have". Before you start going to the shops, where the pressure to "take it home" and the desire to do just that, might eliminate giving more machines a test sew.

The more decisions you make before you go to shop, the happier you will be with a machine which will bring you joy for years to come.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:33 PM

I wanted to thank you all for your responses. You all gave me some great pointers, and I still haven't bought one. I had decided I loved the Janome Horizon, but I can't justify spending that kind of money at this time, so I am now leaning toward a Brother NX-450Q. I found a great deal on a used LB6810, but the throat space is just too small on that one, so I doubt I'll go that route. Thanks again, folks!
Old 09-09-2014, 01:05 PM

I don't know your price range but the machines with big harps are pricey. BLs newest machines have a 11.25 inch harp but start about $3500. I don't like that dealers are not allowed to put their prices online but sometimes will put in their newsletters when on sale.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:21 PM

Hi Dayna,

First, welcome to the Board! I've learned lots hanging out here, and I hope you do too.

I agree with lots of other people's advice - find a machine that feels right, not just one that has the right specs on paper. Test-driving is important. Also, it's handy to buy from a dealer you can get along with, just in case anything goes wrong. I always spend a day or two seeing how I'm treated in various stores, and how the staff treats people around me.

If you're interested in a Janome Horizon, I would suggest looking at Janomes now - that way, your feet and any extras you might buy will likely work if/when you upgrade down the road. The Brother NX-450Q looks pretty comparable to the Janome 3160 or 4120 (except for the Brother having the knee lift, which these two Janomes don't). My mom has the 3160, and it's great. It's only 12 lbs, so easy to carry to class. It has lots of fancy stitches. The motor is super quiet and pleasant-sounding; this makes it fun to sew on. It's also really powerful; I've hemmed a pair of jeans on it, and it had no trouble with 3 layers of flat-felled seams (so, about 9 layers of denim).

I have the 4120, and I love it. It's about the same weight, has even more stitches, and has the numbered buttons like the Brother to choose the stitches. I chose it over the 3160 because it has a lock-stitch button, which I like for FMQ (makes it easier to start/end sewing in the middle of a piece), and... well, because I like to buy stuff one model up from my mom. I'm competitive that way!

We both went with Janomes because there are lots of dealers, and they're reliable. They're sort of the Toyotas of the sewing machine world. They both have about the same throat space as the Brother you're considering, and come with a quilting kit (walking foot, hopping foot, 1/4 inch foot, extension table, and I think a couple other things). So, pretty comparable to your choice - just wanted to throw out another option.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 09-09-2014, 02:10 PM

I agree with the others...try out some machines...tell them your price range and let them show you what they have...ALSO consider a refurbished machine...you can get a much fancier machine for less and they should guarantee it for a while.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
Love, love, love my Janome 6600P. It was about $1,500 when I bought it 3 years ago. Tons of fancy stitches, start/stop button, top loading bobbin, thread cutter, needle threader... everything I need and more.

I have this machine and loooove it too! I pain $1199 new last November. Happy shopping!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:42 AM
Power Poster

You really need to shop for a new DSM just like you do a car. If you can, go to any big quilt show that will attract all the local DSM dealers and you need to test drive them all to see what fits your needs. Tell them your price range. You can get a good price at the end of the show since they will discount them because they are an open box and they don't want to to load them up and take them back to the store. Good Luck and HAVE FUN !! I love my Bernina.