Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Need advice on tying/knotting a quilt.

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pine Grove, PA
    Posts
    345

    Need advice on tying/knotting a quilt.

    The quilt I have made is extensive applique..for that reason I think I would like to tie/knot it. I also heard people put the ties to the back! Has anyone ever done that? I thought maybe this would keep the applique front unobstructed. I only ever tied a lap quilt for my Aunt...I want to make sure I do this correctly...please give your ideas & advice!! THANKS ahead of time!!

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,277
    I have used the stitch on the machine that makes a circle instead of tying. Makes small circles and doesn't leave "tails" that can be pulled on by wee ones.
    But if you do tie, you can cut the ties very close or even make a french knot. I don't think that would distract from the applique.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pine Grove, PA
    Posts
    345
    Well, I just practiced a little with this idea...it's really kinda' cute! i like it..I will 'play' a little more with it. It reminds me of 'todays' version! of tying...I did a sampler for each of my children, a picture of their home & then their family (including pets) in stick people form. 'My version' of 'todays version' of a sampler!

    Quote Originally Posted by Sunnye View Post
    I have used the stitch on the machine that makes a circle instead of tying. Makes small circles and doesn't leave "tails" that can be pulled on by wee ones.
    But if you do tie, you can cut the ties very close or even make a french knot. I don't think that would distract from the applique.

  4. #4
    Senior Member qwkslver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    WV
    Posts
    542
    I did it once, before I got my Sweet 16. I made a cute little quilt for my granddaughter and I didn't want the ties to show. It turned out nice.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
    The quilt I have made is extensive applique..for that reason I think I would like to tie/knot it. I also heard people put the ties to the back! Has anyone ever done that? I thought maybe this would keep the applique front unobstructed. I only ever tied a lap quilt for my Aunt...I want to make sure I do this correctly...please give your ideas & advice!! THANKS ahead of time!!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Not Quite Far Eastern Canada
    Posts
    118
    I have done hidden tying on Quilts. Get very long needles. Double your pearl cotton or whatever you are using to tie and leave the ends buried in the quilt. Take the thread inside the quilt as far as you can go, bring it up, make two loops tightly through all layers and take it back in the layers to the next spot. Repeat. Nice and tidy and no ends to get into trouble. If you make the spacing about 3" apart on a grid pattern it will hardly seem to be done but still be nice and tight.

  6. #6
    Senior Member humbird's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    889
    Quote Originally Posted by Freckles48 View Post
    I have done hidden tying on Quilts. Get very long needles. Double your pearl cotton or whatever you are using to tie and leave the ends buried in the quilt. Take the thread inside the quilt as far as you can go, bring it up, make two loops tightly through all layers and take it back in the layers to the next spot. Repeat. Nice and tidy and no ends to get into trouble. If you make the spacing about 3" apart on a grid pattern it will hardly seem to be done but still be nice and tight.
    hummm. this sounds interesting. may have to try it on a sample. thanks for the idea.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.