Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need advise, please >

Need advise, please

Need advise, please

Old 05-26-2011, 04:04 AM

My daughter gave me a bag with "images" of the grandchildren on it but the canvas has no stiffening in it and it's like a limp rag. It's like the canvas was washed until all of that was removed. I love the idea but the whole thing simply collapses on itself when it isn't being held by the handles. I've found a board to put in the bottom but what can I do to the rest of it? Will spray sizing be enough to give this some body again? This bag was not inexpensive and I'd be embarrassed to have put it on the market, if I had been the company distributing it. I want to use the bag but it needs help.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:11 AM

I am new to the quilting thing but perhaps you could try youtube or google (they seem to have answers to everything); perhaps also an LQS. I love the idea, hope you can get it to work. Good luck.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:13 AM

You can use some stiff iron on interfacing and iron it to the inside of the bag.
Old 05-26-2011, 04:16 AM
Power Poster

you could line it- and make the lining with a stablizer or use batting to add body. if you want it to be stiff- stand up you could use timtex (used in the brims of baseball caps)
Old 05-26-2011, 04:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ckcowl
you could line it- and make the lining with a stablizer or use batting to add body. if you want it to be stiff- stand up you could use timtex (used in the brims of baseball caps)
This is what I would do also. Use Timtex or Peltex (thick, heavy interfacing). You would basically construct an entire bag, slightly smaller, with the lining fabric onthe inside & the interfacing on the outside. Drop it in your bag and stitch the top of the lining to the inside top of your bag. I'm wondering if the canvas was laundered first to remove sizing to enable the photo to be printed on the fabric.
Old 05-26-2011, 05:42 AM
Power Poster

A quick fix that I have used for a wimpy bag is to find a box that fits it. I covered a tide box with wrapping paper and put it inside my bag. A couple of hand stitches on the ends through the cardboard and bag, keep it in place. This might be an idea that would work for you and you've recycled a box too.