Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a "class" machine that actually works! >

Need a "class" machine that actually works!

Need a "class" machine that actually works!

Old 02-05-2014, 03:04 PM

Default Need a "class" machine that actually works!

I have 2 lightweight Singers--one my Mom's Inspiration that was pretty cheap and the feed dogs just chew the fabric, the stitch is so loose I can pull the thread out with my fingers cause the bobbin sits so "rough" and it sounds like it's going to "clatter" into parts any minute. So, I bought a more expensive, lightweight Singer last summer from Tues Morning--a H74, that is no longer made but was new and seemed like a good deal --has needle up/down, lock stitch, several different stitches, etc. But it has issues too! It also chews the fabric when you use the 1/4" foot (okay with the general foot and a 5/8" seam), and again, the stitch is not tight and neat--it practically falls out of the fabric unless the tension is tightened down almost all the way. I've taken the Inspiration apart and cleaned/oiled and got it running again when it totally shot craps. I haven't pulled the H74 apart but plan to tonight. My daughter has the same machine and doesn't have the same issues--so I'll probably take this one to repairman??? Guess what I'd like input on is whether it's even worth the effort to get these repaired or if these newer,lightweight machines are just trash. And if so, other than a Featherweight, what others are using for their "travel" machine? I go to classes about 10 times a year and a couple of retreats and would like to be able to get my machine in and out of the car without problems. Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 03:13 PM

I got a brother from Walmart 8 yrs ago for $80 and I love it! Up until last year it was my only machine. I would look for a cheap Brother I think they are always made well
Old 02-05-2014, 03:14 PM
Power Poster

I would not repair a machine like that; not worth the money. I would also never buy a non-vintage Singer.

Walmart has some nice Brother machines that are light in weight and relatively inexpensive. One good thing about buying a machine there is that you can try it out and make sure you like it; as long as you have the receipt and are within time (30 days? not sure), they are good about taking machine returns.

A lot of people like the Janome Jem, which weighs about the same as a Singer featherweight. There are different machines within that line, depending mostly on number of decorative stitches. There are other lightweight Janome machines that are inexpensive also. Check Amazon for "janome jem" to see the possibilities. Weight is always listed in the specs on Amazon; as long as you keep it around 12 lbs it will be similar to a featherweight. You can also read all the user comments about specific machines to get a better idea of what they are like. Amazon is very good about returns too, as long as you are within the time period. If you simply don't like the machine, you need to pay return shipping; otherwise return shipping is free if there is something wrong with the machine.

Overstock sometimes has refurbished Janomes and Brothers too.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM

I love my little Baby Lock Audrey--it is there smallest, portable, but has all the features plus about 15 decorative stitches. Great for piecing, and quilting up to a baby size quilt--too small for quilting anything larger. Weighs only about 11 pounds I think--have had it for over 3 years and no problems. Also has a short-shank walking foot to buy separately.
Old 02-05-2014, 03:15 PM

Take a look at the Brother CS6000i. I know a lot of people look down on machines you can get at Walmart, but this is a really nice machine with a lot of features for the price. I've been using mine for about 6 years and had no problems. It is pretty lightweight and I've taken it with me on trips. You can do a search here on the QB, some other members also have had good luck with this machine. Also look online for other reviews. For low cost and lightweight, I think this one is a winner. The throat is small so quilting any big projects is difficult, but for piecing or quilting small items it works great. Below is a link to it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featur...rother+cs6000i
Old 02-05-2014, 03:27 PM

Sears has very inexpensive plain Kenmore sewing machines with walking feet available and they are made by Janome. They also run sales all the time.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:14 PM

I really like my vintage Singer 301. It is slightly heavier than a FW, but very easy for me to manage carrying.

I definitely would not spend money on a repair person for those machines you have.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:21 PM

Hancock Fabrics (if you have one near you) sells a nice Brother machine. They are on sale frequently and if you decide you don't like it or something goes wrong with it, you can return it with your original receipt without any problem. Keep the box to return it in.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Teacup View Post
Take a look at the Brother CS6000i. I know a lot of people look down on machines you can get at Walmart, but this is a really nice machine with a lot of features for the price. I've been using mine for about 6 years and had no problems. It is pretty lightweight and I've taken it with me on trips. You can do a search here on the QB, some other members also have had good luck with this machine. Also look online for other reviews. For low cost and lightweight, I think this one is a winner. The throat is small so quilting any big projects is difficult, but for piecing or quilting small items it works great. Below is a link to it on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-Featur...rother+cs6000i
That's what I have! The Brother CS6000! Mine is the older version without the i but I love it.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:20 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Mdegenhart View Post
Sears has very inexpensive plain Kenmore sewing machines with walking feet available and they are made by Janome. They also run sales all the time.
I don't think Sears sells Kenmore sewing machines any more.