Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a custom ruler? >

Need a custom ruler?

Need a custom ruler?

Old 02-25-2012, 09:05 AM

Wow - what a great thrifty idea!!! I have been thinking about getting a 3.5 square up ruler and I am going to Ace to have one made. If it is good, the next time I need a special template I am going to ask them first!!!

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
I've been working on 3 Dear Janes in the Block of the Month http://www.quiltingboard.com/blocks-...n-t175669.html
Today, I went to Ace Hardware to have my custom tri ruler made. My tri's are 8.75" instead of 8". I took the original ruler and one of my printed blocks with the 1/4" seam allowance drawn on it. I also asked him to cut off the tips. It took him about 5 minutes and cost $4. After taking the picture, I decided that lines on the ruler would be nice. I've had a tool in my desk drawer for about 20 years that I've never really used. It's for scratching your name into your expensive metal/plastic electronics in case of theft. It has a very sharp point. A couple lines went crooked and I rescratched, but it turned out great. I did the seam allowances and the center line, which are the ones I've seemed to be using so far.

So if you need a custom ruler, they really are not that expensive!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]315150[/ATTACH]
Old 02-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Geri B View Post
not knowing much about the dear jane stuff......why was the template from EZ not right, it was made for the Dear Jane project? Why did you have to have another, larger one made.....just curious.....am contemplating diving into the dear jane phemon and that is reason for this question....
the EZ template is perfect if you are doing your DJ in the original size, which probably fits a full-sized bed. i wanted mine for a queen, so increased the sashing to 1/2" and the height of the tri's to 8.75.