Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help with baby quilt I made that needs repair >

Need help with baby quilt I made that needs repair

Need help with baby quilt I made that needs repair

Old 04-10-2017, 07:50 AM

Default Need help with baby quilt I made that needs repair

I made this quilt in 2013 for my GGD and she loves it! However, she wrote on it with markers (don't know which kind) and her mother has washed it to within an inch of its life. It is still beautiful although much lighter. Two seams have opened and my GGD cut a piece out of it with a scissors. The back was fleece.

1. The fleece has pilled and looks and feels awful. Thinking that I will remove the binding and add new fleece to the back.

Has anyone else done this and what do you think?

2. I'm going to cover the cut out piece with a heart of similar color. No problem.

3. Either way (new fleece or not) I am going to FMQ a zig zag line over all seams.

Photos: Original quilt; quilt now; back and hole.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]571312[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]571313[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]571314[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails adalines-quilt-copy.jpg   img_3018.jpg   img_3017.jpg  
Old 04-10-2017, 08:02 AM

What a lovely quilt! After you remove the fleece, I would unsew the light fabric and slide another piece underneath. Then sew the surrounding fabrics right down on top of it. I would do the same with the dark strip, cutting it 1/4 inch longer than needed and appliqueing a new piece on top.
I think you're right about the replacing the fleece - I wonder if Minky would hold up better?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:07 AM
Power Poster

Wouldn't minky be a problem in the dryer. I agree with replacing the fleece but maybe with another fleece or maybe a good quality cotton flannel that would compliment the other colors.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:14 AM
Banned

Really no need to replace the fleece. Just shave it. They even make a little hand held shaver just to remove the pills from sweaters and fleece.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Evercare-...haver/17244003

Last edited by popover; 04-10-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Thank you, Artsyone, Tessagin and popover. The fleece is no longer soft. I may just shave it anyway and then cover it. I plan to make hearts out of like fabric and sew them along the purple border in different sizes and at different angles. I hesitate to take the fleece off as I would have to rip out all of the quilting. Like the idea of minky but am wondering about the statement about the dryer. What happens to it in the dryer? Will have to take some of the Minky leftovers I have and dry it to see what happens.

Thank you, popover, for the link to the shavers. So appreciate your help.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 AM
Power Poster

Such a beautiful quilt. well originally it was. I am sure you can repair it well enough to have it "enjoyed" for years. How old were the children? I so hate to think of scissors near that quilt. Very pretty.
Old 04-10-2017, 09:44 AM

What a beautiful quilt.
I'm sure she will be thrilled that you are going to repair it so she can continue to have it for years to come.
Your plans sound good.

Watson
Old 04-10-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
Such a beautiful quilt. well originally it was. I am sure you can repair it well enough to have it "enjoyed" for years. How old were the children? I so hate to think of scissors near that quilt. Very pretty.
Nativetexan! I gave the quilt to my GDIL at her baby shower, so my GGD has had it since she was an infant. She is now 4 years old. You are right about the scissors. Don't know when that happened or how old she was. My GDIL didn't tell me about the markers when that happened. My daughter told me. Anyway, I will fix it as well as possible know that I will probably make her another quilt in a few years (God willing as I am 79 now). Thank you for your reply.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

I would take off the binding, add some strategically placed pieces of applique to the front, add a new piece of backing, and quilt the heck out of it. Then add a new binding and you have a new quilt. It's cute. I totally get why they want it fixed rather than get a new one.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I would fix the holes aa well as i could - and tben let it " be loved to shreds" - while working on a new one.

I can see why the little one loves it.