Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Need help figuring block size for border

  1. #1
    Super Member Farm Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa, Washington
    Posts
    1,745
    I am making a log cabin block as a border for a quilt and my quilt is currently 63" square. I don't know what size to make my log cabin blocks to make them come out exactly the right size on the corners! Can someone help me out, please?! I can make either 7 9" blocks or 9 7" blocks, and either one will work, but I'm just not sure what size to make the logs.

  2. #2
    Super Member Airwick156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    3,483
    Blog Entries
    1
    I hope you can find an answer and I am sure that someone here will be able to help you. I know nothing about how to do that sorry. :)

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Eastern Indiana
    Posts
    243
    Can you post a picture of the quilt? Is the size 63 inches from one edge to the other? Does this include the seam allowance?

  4. #4
    Super Member Farm Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa, Washington
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsparks
    Can you post a picture of the quilt? Is the size 63 inches from one edge to the other? Does this include the seam allowance?
    It is the exact measurement of the quilt from edge to edge.

    Log cabin that needs a log cabin block border
    Name:  Attachment-272541.jpe
Views: 20
Size:  69.4 KB

  5. #5
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    6,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    I am making a log cabin block as a border for a quilt and my quilt is currently 63" square. I don't know what size to make my log cabin blocks to make them come out exactly the right size on the corners! Can someone help me out, please?! I can make either 7 9" blocks or 9 7" blocks, and either one will work, but I'm just not sure what size to make the logs.
    For 9" block:
    Cut hearth at 2"
    Cut logs at 1 & 1/2" (3 logs per side)

    For 7" block:
    Cut hearth at 2"
    Cut logs at 1 & 5/8" (2 logs per side)

    Jan in VA

  6. #6
    Moderator QuiltnNan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    western NY formerly MN, FL, NC, SC
    Posts
    33,056
    Blog Entries
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsparks
    Can you post a picture of the quilt? Is the size 63 inches from one edge to the other? Does this include the seam allowance?
    It is the exact measurement of the quilt from edge to edge.
    unfortunately, 9s or 7s won't work, because your quilt should be 63.5 to do that... you need the seam allowance.

  7. #7
    Super Member Farm Quilter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Odessa, Washington
    Posts
    1,745
    Thank you so much, Jan!!! That is exactly what I needed. When it's all finished, I'll post pictures!

  8. #8
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    6,154
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    Thank you so much, Jan!!! That is exactly what I needed. When it's all finished, I'll post pictures!
    Oh Good!! I look forward to seeing it. :-)
    I've got a DD in the USAF, too; she's a pediatrician in Colorado Springs. her DH is stationed there as well, in the Army.

    Jan in VA

  9. #9
    Super Member madamekelly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Central Willamette Valley, Oregon, USA
    Posts
    4,449
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA
    Quote Originally Posted by Farm Quilter
    I am making a log cabin block as a border for a quilt and my quilt is currently 63" square. I don't know what size to make my log cabin blocks to make them come out exactly the right size on the corners! Can someone help me out, please?! I can make either 7 9" blocks or 9 7" blocks, and either one will work, but I'm just not sure what size to make the logs.
    For 9" block:
    Cut hearth at 2"
    Cut logs at 1 & 1/2" (3 logs per side)

    For 7" block:
    Cut hearth at 2"
    Cut logs at 1 & 5/8" (2 logs per side)

    Jan in VA
    Jan, did you allow for the 1/2 inch shortage due to seams on center piece? If not, maybe she could put another 1 inch (finish at 1/2 inch) border?

  10. #10
    Super Member Glassquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Northeast IL
    Posts
    2,064
    Blog Entries
    1
    I'd cut both the hearth & the logs at 1-1/2" so that all parts would finish 1" and just add logs until the block's finished.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.