Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Rather sizable difference of opinion!

Last evening, my son and I got into a discussion about quilts. He told me I should set up a website or post on ebay and sell quilts that I make. He said do custom ordered quilts and " you could sell them for $50.00, you'd clean up, Mom" I almost passed out!! So, this is how our conversations progressed.
    Me: "Fifty dollars? Do you know how much work and time goes into making and handquilting a wall hanging, less alone a king sized quilt"
    Him: "Doesnt matter. I mean you're just sitting in a chair all day sewing, so how hard can it be?"
    Me: "How hard? Never mind that, just the material alone would cost over fifty bucks for a throw. A king sized quilt would cost well over a hundred dollars on the low end for material."
    Him: Why?"
    and so it went. I told him that even charging minimum wage for the hand quilting, it would still cost over five hundred dollars for a queen sized quilt. And he said, well they sell them at JCPenny for $49, and they're hand made and I got up and said, "Of course they are." and that was that. People just don't understand the time and effort it takes to hand quilt a pieced quilt. Something for nothing seems to be the mindset these days!

Blog Entries
    I have realized that if they don't make the product, they have NO idea what goes into it!

You were much nicer about it than I would have been.

Blog Entries
    just ask him if he's ever heard of slave labor!!

Omg! Sounds like you were very restrained. It's bad enough when the uninformed, non-quilting public says that stuff. Your own son! Must be from the other side of the family. Sorry...HUGS!!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Guess he needs to go and spend his $100 on fabric 'sit there' and sew for hours and days then when hes done... give him $50....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Perfect example of how the young people have been influenced by TV and the "Throw away society". They haven't had time to be seasoned into the reality that life doesn't produce everything in a moment.

This "not a recession" we are experiencing has had one good lesson in it...times can always get tough for any and everyone.

Mom you just taught a learning lesson...it is good to have conversations - food for thought for him.

People tend to think homemade = inexpensive, but it's not the case anymore. And not just quilting - a typical clothing pattern alone costs more than a finished garment, forget about buying the materials! My mom and her sisters used to make their own clothes because it was the only way they could get new clothes - now I make clothes for my kids as a treat - my daughter gets a couple of homemade dresses a year, usually in the spring - I spend as much on those as I do on the rest of her summer clothes combined.

Mine use to think the same way - just whip one up for everyone, until they were told the monetary value of their new 'made especially for you" quilt, instant lesson learned and appreication takes over.

Banned
    Suggest the next time he mows the lawn you will give him 75 cents for the work.

No one who doesn't sew has any idea what goes into making a quilt.

Awhile back, there was a thread on here about how much it costs to make a quilt. I didn't bookmark it, but someone here who is less technically challenged than I am may be able to find it & give you the link. Show it to your son.

Hopefully your son has a better understanding of what goes into quilting.

I think it's time for him to learn how to make a quilt from start to finish even if it's an easy pattern.

OWWWW! I can't imagine how much his attitude hurt you. I hope he doesn't use your quilts under the car or for a dog! You have my sympathy. What would he charge per hour to build a car from scratch while he watches TV?

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I have people ask me all the time why I don't sell my quilts since I have so many. I try to explain to them the actual cost of the material and long arm quilting not to mention my time. They just don't seem to get it. I have a friend who says she never gives a cross-stitch gift to anyone who doesn't cross-stitch themselves. I agree, people have a hard time appreciating the the hours and money you put into a quilt if they don't quilt themselves.

Your Son is so uneducated about quilting. You have my condolences.

Quote Originally Posted by gramajo
    Awhile back, there was a thread on here about how much it costs to make a quilt. I didn't bookmark it, but someone here who is less technically challenged than I am may be able to find it & give you the link. Show it to your son.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-125917-1.htm

There you go!

Wow. No more tater tots for him until he fully participates in financing and making a quilt of his own!

Blog Entries
    since my sons and nephew have been quilting a long time they know the value of a quilt- maybe it's time for him to go shopping- pick out a pattern- and make one-
    the whole (boys shouldn't sew) is such a crock! especially since MEN have ruled the textile world for hundreds (thousands) of years.
    guys seem to have a better sense of color combinations- and the men in my world are always the ones i turn to when something is not going quite right- or looking quite right-
    they are also the ones to challenge me- it was my nephew who forced me to learn to do our first curved blocks---then my oldest son who showed up with our first Y seam---they dream up a design- dive in when it doesn't go right they come to me to figure out the technical part- funny how we work together (at least used to - my oldest son moved to Florida- and the youngest joined the Navy= but my nephew just moved back --- so YEA! he is anxious to get back into it-and i am way anxious to work with him again !!!
    teach them to sew/quilt- then they will understand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt
    Guess he needs to go and spend his $100 on fabric 'sit there' and sew for hours and days then when hes done... give him $50....

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
    Yeah, I like this idea! :mrgreen:

Blog Entries
    and i'll add- all 3 (my 2 sons and my nephew) are very much Manly-men
    they are gear heads- into cars, stereos- hunting- sports...
    they have insisted their girlfriends learn to sew if she didn't already- they work on quilts & crafts with their girlfriends-
    challenge- and compete....there is nothing feminine about them---

Jcpenny= child slave labor in china where almost all fabric is made, and you get the lower quality fabric and quilting. We've all been told the same from those that are ignorant to the cost of fabric. You cant hold ignorance against someone, all you can do is educate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Suggest the next time he mows the lawn you will give him 75 cents for the work.
    BEST of show posting!!! You definitely hit the bull eye's with your comment. What a great way to solve the old problem with family members who don't understand how much blood, sweat and tears goes into a quilt.

I think it's time for him to sit down at a sewing machine!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast