Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help raw edge applique >

Need help raw edge applique

Need help raw edge applique

Old 11-24-2015, 05:49 PM

The water helped a *little* ... not enough for me to actually like it. I also tried a 60/8 microtex needle, again, better but still not what I want.

The problem I discovered isn't the thread ... and for the most part not the needle. I suspect the problem is the fusible under the fabric ... in some cases there are 4 layers of fabric so 3 layers of fusing under it. I think the fusible is preventing the fabric from returning to it's shape (i.e. filling in the hole).

Another test I did pretty much proved this ... I layered 5 pieces of batik with nothing holding them together and stitched over it. No holes.

So I'm pretty bummed. Needle changes are not going to help, thread changes are not going to help, water is not going to help, and a hot iron is not going to help. Tried it all.

many years ago I did a raw edge appliqué that I designed by myself without instruction of any kind. I used a glue stick to keep my pieces together. Yes ... a glue stick. When the pieces were all placed (glued) I then did the same procedure using monofiliment to sew around the edges of every single piece. I did not have this problem with that piece.

Silly me ... I got a pattern and followed the directions to use a fusible and ... my project is a mess.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:14 PM

I use SoftFuse. It is very light. Perfect for layers of applique. It doesn't leave holes. Is it too late to use another fusible?