Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help please with raw edge applique

I have 4 vines of raw edge applique on a pieced quilt. I can not do needle turned applique because of my hands. Which is the best way to finish the applique:
    1. Straight stitch close to the edge with invisible thread.
    2. Small zigzag stitch with invisible thread.
    3. Straight stitch with matching colored thread.
    4. Satin stitch with matching thread.
    5. Other suggestions
    I need it to look as good as possible. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    My personal favorite is the finished look of satin stitching in a matching thread.

Blog Entries
    I think all are acceptable. It depends on how you want it to look. #2 would probably be the closest to a hand applique look. My machine does a nice blanket stitch and that's what I prefer with either a contrasting or a matching thread. #1 would give the edges a fuzzy look after it's washed.

I do a machine blanket stitch on mine when doing raw edge applique. Here's a couple of close up pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    I like to use varigated thread of a similar color with a zigzag

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eddie
    I do a machine blanket stitch on mine when doing raw edge applique. Here's a couple of close up pics.
    I do the same. Nice work!

I did a landscape quilt using a straight stitch with clear thread close to the edge. I still got some fray, and I'm using batiks.

For mine the little big of fray doesn't bother me too much because it's a landscape quilt - so it kind of has that "nature" look to it. Had I done an applique like Eddie's gorgeous William Morris pictured above - the straight stitch method that I used would have ruined it.

So I guess it depends on the overall "look" that you want.

Thanks Ladies for your input. Eddie, thanks for the pictures. your appliques were beautiful. I have a shiny embroidery thread that matches the vines. I'll have to see if I can do a blanket stitch on my machine scaled down to the narrowness of the vines and the thinness of the thread. I do not want it to fray. It is in batiks.

Are you using anything to hold the applique in place before stitching? Ex. wonder-under.
    I like the finished look of a close ziz-zag. stitch.

BMP
    Blog Entries
    WOW Eddie your work is awesome thanks for sharing ..

Quote Originally Posted by sewgull
    Are you using anything to hold the applique in place before stitching? Ex. wonder-under.
    I like the finished look of a close ziz-zag. stitch.
    Yes, I used Wonder under. The vines are a light mauve pink and the hearts (instead of leaves) are a deep burgundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraew
    I do the same. Nice work!
    Me, too, but mine don't quite look that good! Great job!

Blog Entries
    i also use a machine blanket stitch- if my fabric is one that seems to want to fray too much for a blanket stitch i use a tight zigzag- i'm not all that keen with satin stitching- don't really like the (bulk) of it- but that's just my personal choice- if you like satin stitching it is a good stitch for appliques. i always use matching threads- i hate working with invisible threads.

I do the same ---

EXCELLENT work Eddie!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsRfun
    I think all are acceptable. It depends on how you want it to look. #2 would probably be the closest to a hand applique look. My machine does a nice blanket stitch and that's what I prefer with either a contrasting or a matching thread. #1 would give the edges a fuzzy look after it's washed.
    I do small zigzag with either a matching or contrasting thread depending ont he look I want. It comes out really nice. I think the satin stitch sometimes makes the block stiffer than a more spaced stitch. Just my opinion.

Nice work, Eddie....I'll be doing a Wm Morris pattern starting next month, and I like yours a lot!!

You can play with the length and width of your blanket stitch to match the vines'width. I use a narrower and shorter stitch when appliquing small pieces.

Gwen Marston has a wonderful way to make binding. She takes a length of bias about 3 times wider than the result you want. Fold it in thirds so one edge covers the other on the back. In other words, dont but the edges.

Lay the ironed binding on the quilt and pin where you want it easing it around curves with an iron tip. So now it is all ironed and pined. Sew down the middle with a long machine basting stitch. Dont worry about color or how exact this is but just down the middle.

Now the binding is attached to the background and you can then do either hand or machine stitching any way you want around the edges (and they are turned under). When done, remove the basting stitches.

I have done this and it is so easy. Stays in place and the pins can be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by eastermarie
    I have 4 vines of raw edge applique on a pieced quilt. I can not do needle turned applique because of my hands. Which is the best way to finish the applique:
    5. Other suggestions
    It really depends on the look you want. I'd take some scraps and try all the different thread and stitch combos out and see which one looks best for that project.

Quote Originally Posted by eastermarie
    5. Other suggestions
    Stupid computer. Sit and spin and make you think it didn't post.

I do raw edge and zigzag stitch them on and use straight pins to hold them on. It works so far.

Just getting into this and thank you for asking the question ! Beautiful pic ! Will be looking around for his patterns!

I use a little steam-a-seam II to hold in place then either zigzag or button stitch depending on the usage.

Blog Entries
    I like to use Lite Steam a Seam reg. price 3.99 at Joanns of course I use a coupon so its cheaper. I find the stitching looks nicer. I have a applique stich on my machine but when i do not use the lite steam a seam the stitches do not look as nice. Good luck!!! You could also to the Eleaner Burns Method and use a fusible sew it along the edges right sides together and then slit the back of the fusible and turn it inside out...iron and sew any stitch. No raw edges.

Blog Entries
    You can prepare other appliqued pieces as though doing hand applique by turning under the edges and securing with Elmer's Washable School Glue then doing a small straight stitch along the turned under edge. Gently wash away the glue when finished.
    See I can do things other than satin stitch!!

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3
    Gwen Marston has a wonderful way to make binding. She takes a length of bias about 3 times wider than the result you want. Fold it in thirds so one edge covers the other on the backIn other words, dont but the edges.

Lay the ironed binding on the quilt and pin where you want it easing it around curves with an iron tip. So now it is all ironed and pined. Sew down the middle with a long machine basting stitch. Dont worry about color or how exact this is but just down the middle.

Now the binding is attached to the background and you can then do either hand or machine stitching any way you want around the edges (and they are turned under). When done, remove the basting stitches.

I have done this and it is so easy. Stays in place and the pins can be removed.

Blog Entries
    I found this works best with more basic shapes, otherwise you lose the detailed edge. Also using tulle for the back does give more detail and less bulk.

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug
    I like to use Lite Steam a Seam reg. price 3.99 at Joanns of course I use a coupon so its cheaper. I find the stitching looks nicer. I have a applique stich on my machine but when i do not use the lite steam a seam the stitches do not look as nice. Good luck!!! You could also to the Eleaner Burns Method and use a fusible sew it along the edges right sides together and then slit the back of the fusible and turn it inside out...iron and sew any stitch. No raw edges.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast