Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help with Raw Edge Applique >

Need Help with Raw Edge Applique

Need Help with Raw Edge Applique

Old 06-12-2011, 07:38 AM

I'm making a queen sized quilt for my DIL and thought the pattern that came with the kit we chose was a snap but found out it wasn't, too many little pieces and seams to meet that resulted in big bumps, see first photo in blue. Need to make 22 blue blocks and 22 beige blocks.

Decided to modify the block and raw edge applique the constrasting center squares on to the blocks but in my sample block, beige block in photo, there are a lot of threads hanging out. Had an idea that I should fuse the center squares down, do you think that would work? May in Jersey

PS. Hope I get some advice ASAP as I've been working on this quilt non stop most of the week and I'm getting to hate it.

block pattern that came with kit
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210355[/ATTACH]

My modified block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210356[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210349.jpe   attachment-210350.jpe  
Old 06-12-2011, 07:42 AM
Power Poster

Maybe try the 10 min block approach and then there would be no strings in the center block. Just a thought:)
Old 06-12-2011, 07:43 AM

The pieced one looks better than the appliqued one. You might try ironing the seams open and make sure you're ironing on a fairly hard surface so you can really mash the center down.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:44 AM

I always fuse mine, so I can't help with that.
The first block uses 2 different fabrics to make the center,and I am wondering if you wouldn't lose a lot of the design by only going with one fabric.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:51 AM

The first block is fine, it does need a good ironing. The modified block, if you choose to go this route I would recommend to use head and. Bond on your appliqué piece it will give you a cleaner edge to work with the stitch on. Or cut a larger appliqué piece so you can iron over the edges then do a blind hem stitch.

All being said, iron the hebi gebies out of your first block before you give up.
Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 AM
Power Poster

I agree with ScissorQueen, a hard pressing surface makes a big difference along with pressing seams open. A spongy surface doesn't allow you to flatten out the seams as well.

I put a couple of drops of water in the center of the block, front and back for the final pressing too. Let it soak in well and then press hard :D:D:D

If you decide to go with the applique, I would use a very light adhesive and blanket stitch around them. You could use a contrasting color for the stitching to keep your theme going :D:D:D
Old 06-12-2011, 08:14 AM

I think if you hate it already you won't finish it. Go with the applique but iron on the fusible web, then cut the square. The edges will be clean and then you can use a decorative stitch in whatever color you like best with it to finish it off. Quilting is supposed to be fun!
Old 06-12-2011, 08:32 AM

I love the first block... I agree with the others.. just starch and iron the heck out of it!

I use a fusible on any raw edge appliques. I'm just happier with the finial look when I do.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:36 AM

If you'd rather not have raw edge squares, use a piece of fusible interfacing & draw your shape on that. Then put right sides together with your fabric & stitch all around the shape. Carefully make a slit in the middle of the interfacing only..... and turn the shape inside out. Then fuse this shape to your block & stitch with a blind hem stitch so that it doesn't take away from the other piecing design.
Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 AM

Another board member just gave me a link to this applique video by Sharon Schamber. She uses Liquid Stitch on the edges to seal them so they won't fray. Apply the applique piece to the block and then press with a dry iron. Then you can stitch it down with any stitch you choose to use. This glue is permanent but it is soft and flexible when dry. The result is that the appliqued piece won't have the stiffness that a fusible will give you so your block will stay nice and soft. Check it out! I am using this method on a baby quilt.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SharonSc...18/lb-Qcu2K8lk