Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need Help Sewing Straps on Purse! >

Need Help Sewing Straps on Purse!

Need Help Sewing Straps on Purse!

Old 10-27-2013, 05:25 AM

Default Need Help Sewing Straps on Purse!

I'm making a purse with a long strap that will cross over the body. One end attaches to the left top back corner & the other end attaches to the front right hand corner 1/2" from the side. I sewed tabs to each place & will run my strap thru each o'ring on the tab. I am having trouble trying to get my strap put on so it doesn't look twisted when sewn. Is there a criteria you should follow to figure this out. The pattern, Barbados Bag from Pink Sand Beach Designs, is not very clear, assumes we all know how to attach straps! So far I have made 2 purses & they both seem wrong! Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 10-27-2013, 05:58 AM

Most of the bags I've made have had a strap on each side, but I've done a few that only had one strap.

Either way, you want to be sure to top stitch your strap(s) close to each edge before you attach so it will lay flat even after washing. If the fabric is not very heavy you may want to use interfacing in the strap for stability.

When attaching the strap I usually leave more than 1/2" of the strap inside the seam. I first stitch the strap to the outside fabric just inside the seam line. Then when I stitch the lining to the outer fabric I use a slightly larger seam and will often back stitch over each strap for additional security in the seam.

The main thing when attaching your strap(s) is to make sure the strap is not twisted.

Hope this helps! If you have further questions PM me and I will gladly try to answer them.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:25 AM

I also top stitch and use interfacing on straps. I sew the straps on with more than the one seam to keep from ripping the strap off. Of course as I have been told on numerous occasions only the necessities, which include fabric coupons, material swatches, tape measure, pencils, notebook with measurements, beverage, small sewing kit and scissors.