Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need help... TOTALLY different tastes... No ideas what to do. >

Need help... TOTALLY different tastes... No ideas what to do.

Need help... TOTALLY different tastes... No ideas what to do.

Old 09-16-2011, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by donnaree59
My niece is expecting and we went fabric "looking" yesterday. I say "looking" because I couldn't force myself to buy but one piece that she liked. Have any of you ever made a quilt for someone whose taste is extremely different than your own? For a baby, I LOVE bright colors! LOVE them...and even bright BUSY fabrics. She likes more neutral colors, not very busy... But now I have no idea of what kind of pattern to use. I don't want a real simple pattern because I would like to do something a little harder for this special baby (not a D9P, Rail Fence, or Warm Wishes), but I feel brain dead with this. Please help me find something that would make it look as if I was really getting into this quilt.
Do you applique? If you do how about a row of pink posies around each side? with green stems and leaves?
Old 09-16-2011, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by Maria C
Interesting to read through this thread. Lots of great ideas here. My daughter asked me to make her a quilt for her bed and she wanted very soft colours with a shabby chic look. I do mainly bright quilts usually so this was a challenge. She wanted something with squares so I got to choose a 9 patch. When I started making it I had to take out 9 blocks as they were pastel but still too bright for her liking so really she wanted a cream quilt with some pastel in it. It was a challenge for sure but she loved the result and I certainly learnt something about colours and myself and I have developed and eye for shabby chic and really like it now. Go figure. I like the comment about choosing a baby focused size as this is a small print it will certainly shine with a smaller block. Good luck and can't wait to see the post. I have attached a pic of daughters quilt.
Wow... that is so "dainty" looking. Love the ruffle around the edge.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Honeynga
I had a similar experience with my niece. I wanted to do some warm yummy baby colors but she wanted jungle monkeys ! I bought jungle monkey fabric and a piece of plain fleece, sandwiched it together and tied with bright green embroidery thread. I hated every minute I was working on it.....SHE LOVED IT. Got a real sweet thank you note from her and again she said how much she loved the blanket !!!!

Now I have another niece that would love me to make her anything of my choosing...she thinks I have great taste !!! She IS a smart girl isn't she !
My DD decorated my new granddaughter's room in monkeys. Monkeys everywhere.

BUT---------the baby is the pinkest baby I've ever seen in my life. She's pink when she's stark raven naked!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:45 AM

The flowers in the fabric she chose looks like Grandmother's Flower Garden hexes.

How about using this as a background, and appliqueing on some huge flowers or animals using the coordinating colours? They could even be hexes to match the shape of the flowers, just oversized.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:35 AM

I would make some applique flowers the same as the print in darker colors and do an applique/solid/applique block quilt. Use either the chosen fabric for app. background or just a plain light pastel.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by pjnesler
Maybe the 10 Minute block with the center square done in the colors of the little images on the fabric she picked. I haven't made a 10 Minute block yet, but last night I was curious since I had seen a tut, and I picked out some squares that I had sitting around, and pinned one together - It would go fast, if you aren't in love with doing it since you don't like the fabric, at least it would go quick and you'd be done!
I like this idea or If you know someone with an accuquilt die cutter who has the "baby" and the accessories You could applique blocks and using colors in the print or you could use the any of the flowers dies or even circular dies in different sizes using very small print fabrics that match the colors in her fabric choice.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:43 PM

I made a quilt I didn't like and my DD loved it so of course she got it.
I started a quilt for my DB and wife using the colors they wanted. I made one block and sent them a pic. They didn't like to colors either. I sent them my suggestion and they loved it.
It's hard to work on something you don't like, but yes, I've done it.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
I would do a pinwheel quilt and use that for the background and the backing. I would find four tone on tone pink prints, four tone on tone blue prints and four tone on tone green prints in the same shades as the flowers in that fabric to make the pinwheels with.
I AGREE with Scissor Queen. Pinwheels make darling baby quilts. Her suggestion on fabric is what I would use. Keep your eye out for maybe a stripe with all three colors. Good Luck and HANG IN THERE !!