Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need ideas >

need ideas

need ideas

Old 11-02-2010, 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter4HireAndFun
A lot of my students are making a quilt from a old quilting magazine. Simply stated it is a square (of any size) cut in half diagonally from corner to corner. And then cutting a 1-1/2" strip of a solid color....(for yours if Christmas in the fabrics, perhaps using a solid red or white would work well) But you sew the diagonal cut line of each block piece to the 1-1/2" solid color strips,(WOF) - Strip piecing. Then you cut theese into individual pieces...find the matching diagonal piece and join to the strip piece. What you will have is a half-square block with a colored strip going through it. They you square up that block, (cutting the corners).....After all your blocks have a colored solid strip running diagonally through them...lay them all out and you will see a secondary design of the solid lines....It is really pretty and kinda quick. Amazing when 6 or 7 people did these quilts...they all looks so different, as each used different diagonal solid colors. One student used a light color diagonal fabric on dark squares and dark diagonal fabrics on light squares. All were beautiful. I hope you try this!
I'm a visual person.... do you have a picture of a block or quilt?
Old 11-02-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter4HireAndFun
A lot of my students are making a quilt from a old quilting magazine. Simply stated it is a square (of any size) cut in half diagonally from corner to corner. And then cutting a 1-1/2" strip of a solid color....(for yours if Christmas in the fabrics, perhaps using a solid red or white would work well) But you sew the diagonal cut line of each block piece to the 1-1/2" solid color strips,(WOF) - Strip piecing. Then you cut theese into individual pieces...find the matching diagonal piece and join to the strip piece. What you will have is a half-square block with a colored strip going through it. They you square up that block, (cutting the corners).....After all your blocks have a colored solid strip running diagonally through them...lay them all out and you will see a secondary design of the solid lines....It is really pretty and kinda quick. Amazing when 6 or 7 people did these quilts...they all looks so different, as each used different diagonal solid colors. One student used a light color diagonal fabric on dark squares and dark diagonal fabrics on light squares. All were beautiful. I hope you try this!
I think you might be describing the Indian Hatchet block, like this:

http://urbanamish-yolandafundora.blo...n-hatchet.html

Is that right?

P.S. Seems like I saw this idea somewhere else where you just cut strips of maybe 1.5" or 2" in width, just a bit longer than the length of the diagonal of the triangles you get from cutting the charm in half. You sew the triangles back on to the strip and trim accordingly.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:29 AM

I'm leaning towards a disappearing 9 patch. My only concern is since it will be very scrappy I don't want the fabric to get muddy. I am now trying to fgure out a way to tie it all in. Maybe a common center square ??? I think muslin would work for that because all my other squares are red, green, blue, white gold etc. very scrappy christmas. What do you think? I'm including pictures. I think maybe I need to find a few yards of a light blue or something to tie it all together. I really wish I could do pure scrappy.

Your opinios would be greatly appreciated. I was really hoping to do this without spending any money on other fabric.

Option 3- Tie it all together with a muslin center block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]100110[/ATTACH]

this is option 1 with a light middle square and red and green around it.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118105[/ATTACH]

Option 2 - using white or light in corners and middle. I think this might get to white looking as opposed to snuggly christmas loooking.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]118106[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-100105.jpe   attachment-118100.jpe   attachment-118101.jpe  
Old 11-02-2010, 06:33 AM

I think I may make the Indian Hatchet. It is very pretty. Thank you for the link.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 AM

Disappearing 9-patch.....they're fun, easy and impressive!
Old 11-02-2010, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Tiny snow ball blocks alternating with nine patch blocks.

Also some one not too long ago posted a tute about using squares like that to make an easy square in a square blocks. I am thinking of trying that with 5" squares. Maybe some one else remembers the link.