Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
need some advice please!  the way things are lining up >

need some advice please! the way things are lining up

need some advice please! the way things are lining up

Old 03-17-2015, 04:49 AM

Even though we are our worst critics it is important to keep moving forward. Sometimes this means doing things or finishing things just because they need to be done. If we cast aside a project and do not work out the kinks-one at a time- we set ourselves up for a repeat on the next project. Some things are hard to work through and some just seem that way until that little light bulb pops on. If you really get stuck ask others for help.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:05 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
Think of all the meals/clothes/appointments/ comments/discipline/other things you've "screwed up" over the years as her mother, yet you didn't give up on keeping on. Right? Think of how happy she will be rather than how frustrated you are.

Jan in VA
Best advise EVER. What Jan said.
Old 03-17-2015, 05:42 AM

Finished is better than perfect.

Your daughter loves it...just do it. It might drive you crazy but that doesn't matter! You'll feel good once it's done, and I betcha once it's been out of your sight for awhile, when you see it again it won't look as bad as you remember it.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:58 AM
Power Poster

I have had that problem and have put the quilt away. That's why I have so many UFO's. If your daughter loves it, keep working on it.
Old 03-18-2015, 07:23 AM

My mantra is "Finished is better than perfect."
Old 03-18-2015, 08:37 AM

Finish it and pass it on to your daughter. Remember, our view is about 18"; hers may be from across the bedroom and she won't notice your boo-boo's.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

If your daughter loves it, by all means finish the quilt - FOR HER. It doesn't matter how we feel about a quilt, it's what the recipient sees. I once made a quilt for a friend, where she had sewn strips together from all her scrap fabric collected from years of sewing; and she wanted red sashing and border. Not my cup of tea, however, she was paying me for it; so I straightened the long strips, cut them into matching lengths and added the red. I kept telling myself that "red is a neutral" after seeing a quilt teacher on Simply Quilts make that comment. My son and DH liked it and she loved it, and paid me $250 for it, we had not discussed price, but I was thrilled; especially since she loved it and specifically asked me to quilt it as she admired my quilts from the church raffle quilts I had made.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:24 AM

I set the quilt aside and don't look at it for several days. When I pick it up again, I ususally can't find the bad spots unless I search really hard for it. That tells me to leave the quilt alone. If the problem area jumps out right at me, then I consider if I want to make some adjustments.
Old 03-18-2015, 10:09 AM

I agree with all the others!! We are our own worst critics. Your daughter loves it and that is what counts!! Keep on keeping on!

When you look at your "mistakes" later they won't seem nearly as bad you thought initally. I remember lately thinking one of my binding was so horrible on one side. When I looked at it weeks later I couldn't figure out which side it was. Not that they all looked bad, they all looked just fine!!
Old 03-18-2015, 10:23 AM

My mom was given some doubleknit outfits that didn't fit her...she cut them up to make a grandmother's flower garden quilt. Her eyesight was going...she spent almost a year piecing that lap quilt...by the end it was not the greatest (mom used to do beautiful hand work)...I told her I'd like it for my birthday & that I would tie the quilt. Well, mom is gone and when I looked at the quilt...it had too many hexis in some places, not enough in others...I put that quilt on my longarm machine and scribbled it to death...seams were coming apart, huge stitches, no tie offs, etc.... I love my quilt! I use it all the time...when it's hot, it's on the back of the couch...yes, it's not real fancy...but my momma did her best to make that quilt for me....I will cherish it forever.

Finish that quilt for your daughter...she will love it forever!